Methods for diet analysis

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ha
Garter
Garter

Methods for diet analysis

Post by ha » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:11 pm

Hey

I'm writing a thesis where I use species-specific primers to identify gut contents of predator. In my introduction I would like to have a a short introduction to other molecular methods that can be used for diet analysis. But I'm a bit comfused of what other methods than the different PCR methods that can be used. On my list I have:
-biochemical markers such as isozymesan
- ELISA
- prey-specific antibodies
- monoclonal antibodies
- polyclonal antibodies
- immunological assay
- allozyme analysis
- isotope analysis

Are all these different methods, or are some related?

Thanks alot

h

oppox
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by oppox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:59 pm

isnt ELISA just a spectrophotometer that can read elisa plates and on that plate u can bind things to antibodies. I dont know much of the other stuff though

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:51 am

Nope ELISA means Enzyme linked Immuno-sorbent Assay. Basically you have a plate that fixes your sample then you add antibodies targeted at what you want to identify and marking (direct or indirect) to detct the fixation (or not) of your antibodies, The spectrophotometer is just one of the possible detection tool.

To come back to the topic, sorry I can't help, But I wold be surprise that an isotope analysis could be of much help.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:21 pm

oppox wrote:isnt ELISA just a spectrophotometer that can read elisa plates and on that plate u can bind things to antibodies. I dont know much of the other stuff though

You can use ELISA reader as a spectrophotometer (with clear plates, not coated) especially when you have a lot of measuremets, but you can not say that you used ELISA method. For ELISA method you must use coated plates.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.