BIG CONFUSION

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

asutoshsahu
Death Adder
Death Adder

BIG CONFUSION

Post by asutoshsahu » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:37 am

Hello Guys,
I was reading the structure of Chromosome where i confused with two terms.

These terms are Chromonema and Chromatid.
I know Each chromosome has two chromatids attached at the centromere.
But where is the Chromonemata and where is DNA. I am quoting a sentence from my book
Chromonema is a DNA Histone thread or chromatin strand which is coiled, folded and packed to form the bulk of chromosome. There is one chromonema (ds DNA) per chromosome...... .... .... ... Two Chromonemata (2 DNA) occur where a chromosome has two chromatids.

A chromosome has a ds DNA then how many chromatids and chromonema in a chromosome.
Which one contains the DNA --- Chromatid or chromonemata and how the two DNA strands are there in these structures.

I am very confused with this. Please Help me. :roll:

Pecatum
Garter
Garter

Post by Pecatum » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:27 pm

The coiled filament that extends the entire length of a chromosome and on which the genes are located.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... chromonema

protozoan
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by protozoan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:13 pm

HI
During mitosis, there are two chromatids per chromosome =two chromonemata (according to your book) = two ds DNA(identical), when they separate, one chromatid = one chromosome =one chromonema= one dsDNA.
This should be answer to your first question.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. (Sherlock Holmes)