Stem cell differentiation

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Aerlinn
Death Adder
Death Adder

Stem cell differentiation

Post by Aerlinn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:09 am

I was wondering whether anyone knew anything about or know where on the net I could find some info about stem cell differentiation? Stem cell differentiation as the gene or DNA technology involved (focusing on these) I've searched, and there doesn't seem to be much info about the subject, only heaps on the ethics of the stem cell debate :(
The wonders of so-called life...

Aerlinn
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Aerlinn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:50 am

A different way of putting the question: how are stem cells stimulated to differentiate?
The wonders of so-called life...

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:31 pm

I think you can find the recent news about stem cell research in http://www.biologynews.net

happy searching... :D
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

chemistry_freako
Coral
Coral

Post by chemistry_freako » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:54 am

You can search on factors to 'prompt' them to differentiate, and the available options and experiments that have shown promising results.

I found quite a few results/sources while searching on the net (and PubMed) when i was researching for my Stem Cells assignment though (but it's more on cord blood and regenerative medicine)
化学は、最高です

dipjyoti
Coral
Coral

Post by dipjyoti » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:10 am

Stem cells in humans are primal undifferentiated cells that retain the ability to produce an identical copy of themselves when they divide (clone) and differentiate into other cell types. In higher animals this function is the defining property of the deleted cells. Stem cells have the ability to act as a repair system for the body, because they can divide and differentiate, replenishing other cells as long as the host organism is alive.

Medical researchers believe stem cell research has the potential to change the face of human disease by being used to repair specific tissues or to grow organs. Yet there is general agreement that, "significant technical hurdles remain that will only be overcome through years of intensive research."[1]. Current evidence indicates that some stem cells are involved in assisting cancer's proliferation, or worse yet, some stem cells act as cancer stem cells (CSC).

The study of stem cells is attributed as beginning in the 1960s after research by Canadian scientists Ernest A. McCulloch and James E. Till.