?? idea to create new antibiotics

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ilove_science
Garter
Garter

?? idea to create new antibiotics

Post by ilove_science » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:41 pm

I am not a micro/molecular biologist, I have just done some basic biology and chemistry studies and have a strong interest in parasites, bacteria, etc

I believe firmly to create new antibiotics you can make fungus/other things create new molecules/chemicals/ anti bodies to kill the bacteria/organism of interest. As with antibiotics/chemicals from fungus made to destroy bacteria’s cell membranes and their DNA replication process, strains of bacteria evolve to become immune to the molecules by producing enzymes to deal with it or create a barrier to block them from their DNA or just change and become immune, my point is that fungus has the same ability and tent to want to mutate to find way to destroy competitors and predators such as bacteria, I would not bother mentioning this idea, but I have only seen in the search of new antibiotics that people put all kinds of different fungus with the bacteria and isolate any that kill the bacteria, I think over many of their short generations living among-side an enemy fungus/_ will evolve to create molecules to fight the bacteria/_ if they are in threat of being completely destroyed by the bacteria.

the nature of evolution of small or unicellular organisms is to mutate to adapt to their environment and new competition or predators, probably in-particular with some organisms, and when their are a large collony of them and they are near to being wiped out, or they are being affected by something that would kill them. I have seen allot about the way bacteria build up impunity to antibiotics, it this way I am sure fungus/small organisms can create molecules to destroy their competition and microbial predators, when they are under threat of dieing or not having the room to live any more, or not being able to get to their nutrients,
I am not to sure about other parasites and viruses, but if you could say’ leave different kinds of fungus living with different kinds of parasites or viruses that affect it, I believe some microorganisms will create molecules to destroy them
Get them to fight each other and see if who wins and see what they have changed to win, and see if they will always then win against the organism of interest, and see if you can grow this new organism and make new antibiotics from it?

I am sure this idea is old, I have just not heard it, anyone know if this works?

Sorry this is not written well, but I’m sure you get the idea.

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:22 am

Yes, this is is called screening for antibiotic-producing organisms. Many drug companies spends tons and tons of money digging up novel bacteria/fungi in the bottom of the ocean, in the Amazon forest, in lakes, mountains, and in any other conceivable habitat screening thousands and thousands of organisms searching for that strain that can inhibit growth of pathogenic microorganisms. For that matter, why limit ourselves to organisms, thousands of plant extracts can inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria! So other researchers focus on that too. Now there are many problems cropping up and simple inhibition zones on plates form hundreds of isolates may not produce a single usable antibiotic. You have to consider and test for a lot of factors like toxicity, accumulation of antibiotic on target sites, effect of anitimicrobial on other cells, etc... Some researchers still are focused on modifying existing antibiotics to form new compounds. Ex. penicillin being modified to become streptomycin, and presto some penicillin resistant bacteria can be treated using streptomycin. Still others chemically synthesize new antibiotics geared towards a specific mode of action towards the target pathogens.

So actually you're idea is correct and it is the first step but not the only path that we should take to fight pathogens. Think on the grander scale, that we are constantly fighting off evolving pathogens, becoming resistant and immune to our antibiotics, we are barely able to combat it by producing new drugs, finding novel antibiotics from nature, even using old antibiotics that have suddenly become effective against the new pathogens.

If you ask me who's winning the race, I would say we are leading the race, barely; but many of our existing antibiotics now are completely useless and frantic development of other means to combat the new pathogens are really vital. I say kudos and more power to those people on this field.
(This is the carreer path that I really would like to take instead of being unemployed in front of a computer. he he.)