Crazy question on Bio entrance exam

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Crazy question on Bio entrance exam

Post by Ultrashogun » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:01 am

After one year in med school I felt I had found what I wanted to do, which turned out not to be medicine.

Yesterday was the entrance exam for biological sciences and two questions pissed me off royally to say the least.

"Which of the following is a shared property of all living things?"

a) ...
b) ...
c) presence of a genome
d) enzymes

Look into any bio book and it will explain that biological reactions require biological catalysts in the form of (mostly) proteic enzymes, where do enzymes come from? They are synthesized using the genome. I answered c, basing my decision on two paths of reasoning:

1) genome is required for acquiring enzymes, not viceversa.

2) the only situation in which this question is not completely f*cked is if you consider a virus to be living, in that case c is the only thing it shares with other organisms.

After the test I asked the prof. and she replied that she saw the question and isnt sure herself, THEN WHY DID YOU PUT IT INTO THE MF TEST!?!?!

The other question Im not so sure about myself:

"Which of these factors is fundamental for the evolution of living beings?"

a) ...
b) adaptation
c) natural selection
d) biological diversity

I chose d). I reasoned that adaptation and natural selection are consequences of biological diversity, so answer d) is 'more' fundamental for evolution.

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:13 pm

Hmm... let me give it a shot...

For the first question...
I would agree with you that the genetic material is a shared property of all living beings. But then, you would have to consider the limitations of the term "living things". Considering viruses, they do possess enzyme, you know, inside their protein coat, that allow them to digest/penetrate cell membranes (e.g. T1 bacteriophages). Consider also the prions, the self replicating proteins. This would definitely shift your answer to the d choice.

2nd question:
I wuld agree again that the correct choice is d. Adaptation and natural selection are merely tools for evolution, but the direct result of evolution is diversity. Evolution can still occur without b and c since evolution can still use mutation to effect biological diversity.

Just my two cents...good luck :)

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:32 pm

mkwaje wrote:Hmm... let me give it a shot...

For the first question...
I would agree with you that the genetic material is a shared property of all living beings. But then, you would have to consider the limitations of the term "living things". Considering viruses, they do possess enzyme, you know, inside their protein coat, that allow them to digest/penetrate cell membranes (e.g. T1 bacteriophages). Consider also the prions, the self replicating proteins. This would definitely shift your answer to the d choice.

2nd question:
I wuld agree again that the correct choice is d. Adaptation and natural selection are merely tools for evolution, but the direct result of evolution is diversity. Evolution can still occur without b and c since evolution can still use mutation to effect biological diversity.

Just my two cents...good luck :)

Thanks for your answers.

Im pretty sure however that the membrane penetration is not via any enzymes.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:23 pm

hey, you inveted for example a new complement system and a new way in which cytotoxic T-cells release their granzymes in a cell without perforin. :idea:

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dustfinger » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:54 pm

I'd say :
No. 1 Answer c
N0.2 Answer d

pd84
Garter
Garter

Post by pd84 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:02 pm

I'd probably agree with mkwaje there. However, viruses also have a genome as RNA as opposed to DNA and prions can't be considered as 'living things' no matter how you look at it.