Cytoplasmic Streaming-- PLEASE help me!

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Tamsicle
Garter
Garter

Cytoplasmic Streaming-- PLEASE help me!

Post by Tamsicle » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:34 am

Will someone please tell me what CAUSES cytoplasmic streaming? Where do cells obtain the energy to permit it's occurance? Does light/heat speed up this process? Is this related to the activities of enzymes? Does it affect the rates at which enzymes catalyse reactions?

Thanks.

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by b_d_41501 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:31 pm

I have been looking this up for a while now and I cannot find it anywhere?!
"Take four red capsules, in ten minutes take two more. Help is on the way."
----- Voice from the Medicine Cabinet

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:28 am

As much as I know, cytoplasmic streaming is a useful process to help the nutrients go all through the cell. Nothing CAUSES it. The cell just does it. (with the help of cytoskeleton) And yes, heat and light speeds up the process. I'm not sure about it but, ATP is required. ( I will try to find it from my lab notes.) I don't think it has a relation with enzymes.
I don't have a very detailed info, and some of the answers may not be correct...
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by b_d_41501 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:26 am

Yeah poison, that's all I can locate as well. There's no definite answer for this in anything I have.
"Take four red capsules, in ten minutes take two more. Help is on the way."
----- Voice from the Medicine Cabinet

Tamsicle
Garter
Garter

Post by Tamsicle » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:40 pm

I was studying for a bio exam (Monday- wish me luck!) and I incidentally came across an answer- or according so some professor of microbiology- he said something about the contraction of microfilaments CAUSING the process of cytoplasmic streaming. Thanks everyone!
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:20 pm

Tamsicle wrote: he said something about the contraction of microfilaments CAUSING the process of cytoplasmic streaming.

thats why I wrote about cytoskeleton. The word 'cause' didn't seem to me correct in this situation, but anyway , english is not my native language.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

clarence
Garter
Garter

Post by clarence » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 am

Here's a more detailed explanation about cytoplasmic streaming, from Lodish et.al., Molecular Cell Biology.

Text: Myosin-Generated Movements in Cytoplasmic Streaming, in 18.5 Actin and Myosin in Nonmuscle Cells http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=mcb.section.5230#5241

Figure: Cytoplasmic streaming in cylindrical giant algae http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=mcb.figgrp.5242

To sum up the text, myosins power cytoplasmic streaming although the identity of the myosin involved is unknown.

Additional info: Also, in C. Elegans, cytoplasmic streaming plays a role in determining the polarity in the one-cell embryo. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=ce2.section.448
Ideology...is indispensable in any society if men are to be formed, transformed and equipped to respond to the demands of their conditions of existence. -- Louis Althusser, For Marx

philie12
Garter
Garter

cytoplasmic streaming

Post by philie12 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:05 pm

The explanation i can gather for how cytoplasmic streaming occurs is below:
Cytoplasmic streaming is due to convection around the heat generated by mitochondria.

i hope this helps a little bit.

Philie

safra
Garter
Garter

Post by safra » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:17 pm

I have to ask where you got this information about the mitochondrial heat causing convection?
.... S a f r a ...
Future medical lab technologist ;)