Taq activity?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

dzrdez
Garter
Garter

Taq activity?

Post by dzrdez » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:28 pm

What's the activity of Taq DNA polymerase at low temperature(20,30or 40 degree)?
Please reply to [email protected]

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:38 pm

Taq polymerase is an enzyme with an optimum curve. So at lower temperatures as you mentioned Taq polymerase will get less active as far as I know.

--> It's use because the PCR reaction needs to take place at relatively higher temperatures than our body temperature. That's why you need Taq polymerase because it's resistant to higer temps.

oppox
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by oppox » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:55 pm

Why are u planning on going so low?
I cant see why you shouldnt try it out, maybe u should increase your extansion time though, to 5-6 min perhaps.

oppox
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by oppox » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:55 pm

on the other hand after some thoughts, in a ordinary PCR cycle the annealing temp is about 50 deg and then rised to 72 for taq to begin. So I dont know but it might be a problem there. If taq was active at so much lower temps, it would already have replicated the whole gene before the temp hit 72, am I fishing out of the blue now?

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:20 pm

what would you expect to happen when you use normal DNA polymerase in a PCR and you let the temperature rise to 95 degrees C for 15 sec to separate the DNA strands ? There lies the choice of using Taq-polymerase: it's heat stable.