1 gene = 1 polypeptide

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

student12
Death Adder
Death Adder

1 gene = 1 polypeptide

Post by student12 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:06 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't one gene code for one polypeptide?

Why I ask this question some may wonder...it's b/c one question i run acrossed asked:
Describe 2 reasons why geneticist have reevaluated their traditional view that one gene codes for one polypeptide.

weesper
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by weesper » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:22 pm

because through the process of splicing one parent transcript may be spliced into various alternative forms which can be all be translated into different types of peptide chains for example in different tissues or different stages of development.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:04 pm

That is the reason why the cistron notion has been introduced.
Another reason for reevaluating this theorem is the fact that a gene can code for a RNA that is not translated(e.g. rRNA, tRNA, snRNA, snoRNA etc)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

student12
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by student12 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:16 am

weesper wrote:because through the process of splicing one parent transcript may be spliced into various alternative forms which can be all be translated into different types of peptide chains for example in different tissues or different stages of development.

Doesn't 1 gene code for a polypeptide which can then be further modified, either by the addition of various molecules or by splicing out certain regions?