synthetic enzyme substrates

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

felicity_wishes
Garter
Garter

synthetic enzyme substrates

Post by felicity_wishes » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:23 am

Anyone know where I can get detailed information about synthetic substrates from? Something along the lines of their uses, purposes, history etc?

Any journals or websites would be really helpful.

Many thanks.

weesper
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by weesper » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:25 am

Give me an example and I'll try and help you

felicity_wishes
Garter
Garter

Post by felicity_wishes » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:34 am

Well, anything from as broad as what they are and their purposes, to examples such as chromogenic or fluorogenic substrates for hydrolases/glycosidases.

Thank you.

weesper
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by weesper » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:22 am

Oh so you want to everything?

Go to http://www.syntheticsubstrates.com

Seriously if you're asking such as broad question I can only give you broad replies. Give me one concrete example.

felicity_wishes
Garter
Garter

Post by felicity_wishes » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:35 am

Seriously - I need like a general overview. No details about their synthesis or one particular substrate or type of substrate. Just a general overview.

Perhaps something about their applications, and future prospects? Their use in clinical diagnosis?

PS. I don't know if you know, but that link doesn't work. Thanks for your help anyway.

oppox
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by oppox » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:07 pm

yea I think he knew :wink: . I think the best u can do is search it, search googles and in journals etc. I dont think u will find an overview in one place since its alot of substrates for alot of different proteins.

weesper
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by weesper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:02 pm

Yes next time I'll also put a link up to http://www.canyouhandleajoke.com to make sure the message gets across. take care good luck

felicity_wishes
Garter
Garter

Post by felicity_wishes » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:03 am

Thank you oppox for your reply :) I have tried google and journals, but can't really find much about where it all started and who came up with the idea and why - but I shall keep looking anyway! I need to write an introduction on "synthetic enzyme substrates and their applications". More specifically, I will need to focus on chromogenic substrates for glycosidases. Thanks again - I'll keep looking :)

Weesper - lol...I can handle a joke - I just didn't know it was one :)
So perhaps something like www.isitajoke?.com would be more uselful for me. I can click on the FAQ page and read up the "50 ways of determining when someone is being funny over the internet" section...
thanks anyway! :)

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:21 am

As far as I remember it started with Monod and the use of IPTG/Xgal to study the Beta-galactosidase activity. But it was long ago and I do not have the book anymore :(
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

felicity_wishes
Garter
Garter

Post by felicity_wishes » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:03 pm

Thank you for the information - it's helpful. I'll try searching that as well :)