eye color

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:20 pm

Canalon wrote:
Dustfinger wrote:ah......got it now ! It opens with internet explorer but not on Firefox ! :evil:

Work with firefox here. But maybe you have some security enabled or not downloaded a plug-in that prevents firefox from running the page.

Totally weird? I opened fine on my firefox? I've never (knowingly) changed my security settings ... but, I have a Mac? Maybe that's it? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new fantastic MAC!

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:30 pm

... so this topic has sparked a conversation in my lab about eye color...

One of my lab mates said that this 2 gene system doesn't explain how two blue-eyed parents produce a brown eyed child. (hmm ... unless the mailman was visiting ...?)

..and one my labmate has a female friend who has one green eye and one blue eye... Also, when I lived in manhatten I saw a man (almost every morning on the train ) that had one brown eye and a blue eye.

Also, i've seen people who have iris' that are green on the edges and brown near the pupil .. or their eye could be one color and then a quadrant was another color. (of course there are known genetic diseases that can cause abnormal eye/iris phenotypes ... but, how would this be explain in a "normal" person?)

Would these things be the result of differential gene regulation/expression? Or a damaged/mutated gene? Or other genes influencing color (or level of pigmentation)?

Interesting? Does anyone know?

- KIM

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:33 pm

according to my genetics prof, having one blue and one green eye means you have experienced mitotic crossing-over during embryogenesis. But i have proved that guy wrong.

By the way, i don't think it is possible for 2 blue eyed parents to produce a brown eye child.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Sepals
Coral
Coral

Post by Sepals » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:17 pm

missi0115 wrote:DO YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, BIOLOGICALLY? BECAUSE MY HUSBAND HAS RECEIVED A PATERNITY PAPER FOR SOME 15 YEAR OLD CHILD FROM A ONE-NIGHT STAND AND THIS CHILD HAS BLUE EYES AND HE AND THE MOTHER HAVE GREEN EYES!!!
Huh?!! Greens eyes are recessive to blue eyes. Therefore in order for someone to have green eyes they must contain 2 green eyes alleles while if someone has blue eyes they can have an allele for green and an allele for blue. So as blue is dominant to green he certianly needs a paternity test done!

jlg07
Garter
Garter

Post by jlg07 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:34 am

to Dustfinger
your internet must be restricted,so you can not vist that web site.

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dustfinger » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:43 pm

well my internet is not restricted, for it opens on IE 6 !
But maybe Firefox is not authorised to open.....maybe i have the wrong security settings...well, it doesn´t matter. Firefox is better than IE, though. :lol: