Homosexuality

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

gaylord
Garter
Garter

Homosexuality

Post by gaylord » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:59 am

why are some humans homosexuals?

fluktuacia
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by fluktuacia » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:41 am

it's still not sure what is the reason of homosexuality. some people claim that it develops when baby in womb is exposted to the high levels of female/male sexual hormons or that it even has somethig to do with genetics (sth. like "genes for homosexuality").. another theory i heard for male homosexuality is that is caused when the boy is extremely tied to his mother in childhood.
try to search the net

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:25 pm

There's both genetic and environmental factors and the question isn't really which is more influential, but how do they interact....almost a direct quote from my anthropology book.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:40 pm

As far as I can figure it out, there's also different degrees of homosexuality. Sometimes a person can be born with it, and it can be permanent; in these cases it is probably mostly genetic. In other cases, however, it's only temporary and changeable depending on circumstances, which explains why people do that in prison. I don't think being close to one's mother has anything to do with it; I've seen quite a few people where such had nothing to do with the sexual orientation of the child.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

jnkdna
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by jnkdna » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:55 am

is homosexuality really affected by genes? i thought it was just environmental. i still do.
d nyt is darkest just before the dawn

Kirsten
Garter
Garter

Post by Kirsten » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:26 am

it isnt known yet to be genetic or not. there is evidence to suggest that it is, but nothing set in stone. Regardless there is a huge environmental impact

fluktuacia
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by fluktuacia » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:34 am

a scientist (i think his name is Dean Hamer..) after investigating families with homosexual men, found a region on chromosome X (named Xq28) that seems to be somehow connected with men's homosexuality.
check this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Omim/getmap ... +&start=-2
it's the 5th Xq from the end

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 pm

I think with some it is geneticaly inherited, some have mix up in chromosones in which they are unsure of gender ID and then choose homosexuality.and others choose it for other reasons.
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

bluegray
Garter
Garter

Post by bluegray » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:30 am

i think some people are homosexual only if they think they are

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:35 pm

i think some people are homosexual only if they think they are

As far as Polish definition of homosexuality goes, a homosexualist is a person who indeed is able to love person of same sex, unless (i.e. when one just likes physical contact and sexual relationships with the same sex people) it is a pervert. Of course that is a abridged version of the definition.

bluegray
Garter
Garter

Post by bluegray » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:03 am

i kinda think an opinion - which is what a definition basically is - is not real. and because what i just wrote is basically an opinion - maybe what im writing isn't real.
i guess trying to define homosexuality is like trying to define love then
basically there is no real definition

bluegray
Garter
Garter

Post by bluegray » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:20 am

2nd thought gaylord - i suggest that you use your own feelings, thoughts, and imagination
sorry