Long-term bacterial stock

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

brandon
Garter
Garter

Long-term bacterial stock

Post by brandon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:40 am

Not knowing I wasn't supposed to, I thawed a bacterial stock from -80 and refroze it. Can I still use this stock?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 am

No problem. You killed some of the poor bugs, but except if you boiled it, there should be more than enough bacteria to start your next culture.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:45 am

Yep.. they should still be viable specially if its just for a short time.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:55 am

Sorry mkwaje,
but the time has little to do ith the problem. It's the thawing freezing step that allow growth of ice crystals that destroy some of the bacteria. Of course if you keep them long at temperature that allow growth they will also use glycerol, which the cryo protectant as a carbon source. But the big problem in this kind of operation is ice.
But since a good stock is really rich in bacteria, a few thawing/freezing ccycle will not decrease your stock population below levels mecessary to start a culture.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:09 am

yep.. you're right Canalon. Sorry for the above post, brandon didn't mention the type of organism. I kept on thinking about my past work, where my isolated thermophiles got killed in room temp. That's why I wasn't able to finish my research. All my cultures got killed when the power went down for days at a time. Have to keep them at 80°C or at freezing temp; room temp kills them.