cana baby more intelligent than his father?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hbeing
Garter
Garter

cana baby more intelligent than his father?

Post by hbeing » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:19 pm

can we apply techniques of genetics to produce a baby more intelligent than his father.and generations after generations we will be able to have a commuity of intelligent people.just as we do in natural selection.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:04 pm

I think people would go for beautiful more than inteliigence...well watch gattaca for one possible outcome.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 pm

But is intelligence purely genetic? No. Also, it's already been tried by Robert Graham who created the 'nobel prize sperm bank'. Here's an article http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1191592,00.html

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:29 am

James wrote:But is intelligence purely genetic? No. Also, it's already been tried by Robert Graham who created the 'nobel prize sperm bank'. Here's an article http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1191592,00.html

awesome article.. interesting! I enjoyed it!

kiekyon
Coral
Coral

Re: cana baby more intelligent than his father?

Post by kiekyon » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:21 pm

hbeing wrote:can we apply techniques of genetics to produce a baby more intelligent than his father.and generations after generations we will be able to have a commuity of intelligent people.just as we do in natural selection.

yes, i think we can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability

The conclusions from studies involving intelligence tests often conclude that intelligence has high heritability. This is probably due to inherent problems with human twin studies, as well as reflecting a high level of genetic variation for many human traits, and corresponding lower environmental variation within the confines of the test.

oana_t
Garter
Garter

Post by oana_t » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:39 pm

the only thing that i can tell u is that i personally think intelligence is inheritated from the parents...for example i know a few persons who are very smart and have great results at school, and their parents&grandparents are also very smart. so the only thing that results from here is that kids inherit intelligence

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Yeah but those smart kids were also raised by those smart parents and grandparents. So maybe they weren't born smart, but got smarter on the way. But, twins studies have showed that although intelligence is not 100% genetic, it does show high heritability
But such things pose problems of ethics. Is it right to allow some humans to have children and horbit others to do it?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dustfinger » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:56 am

Of course it is ethically unacceptable to do that. T´would be inhumane, for some people with the "intelligent" genetic disposition would be preferred to those with "normal"genes.
Anyway...most people would certainly prefer beautiful children than intelligent ones.