Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

secret
Garter
Garter

help me out.- assignment on photosynthesis

Post by secret » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:26 pm

Hi all

I am currently studying at TAFE (collage institute) and was given an assignment relevant to Photosynthesis.

Anyway, I am stuck trying to work out an which I can relate to real life.

Here's the report question:

"I am to undertake an experimental investigation into the cellular process of photosynthesis, then appkly it to an example of photosynthesis in real life situations"

Anybody got any idea as to which would be a good investigation?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
G GggGgGg Unit.

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:25 pm

Hmm, you know there are a few experiments you could conduct to demonstrate that photosynthesis really occurs, however I don't know what is the aim of your investigation.

For example you could demonstrate photosynthesis on some water plant such as Elodea sp.. It yealds preety oxygen bubles that are a proof for photosynthesis.
You may also check if photosynthesis occurs by detecting starch grains emerging in leaf after exposition to light. ETC. Give more details about the purpose of your experiment, please.

secret
Garter
Garter

Post by secret » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Hey, they sound great.

I will supply the information i was given -I have been racking my brains to figure an experiment which will impress the academic stuff.

Assesment criteria is as below:

You will conduct an experiment investigation into the cellular process of photosynthesis, then apply the it to an example of photosynthesis in real life situations.

You will need to design an experiment to investigate one of the factors involved in photosynthesis and carry out the experiment. You will then investigate an aspect of photosynthesis in real life and show how the factor you have investigated in the laboratory could affect this aspect.

Was thinking of constructing a small energy plant using neon lights and a fish tank. Placing plants in the fish tank with soil and exposing the plants to unatural light, then recording observations over the next two months. However, I can't seem to link it to a real life application -this is all new to me (I am a math freak but bio seemed interesting) -indeed it is.

Appreciate the advice =D
G GggGgGg Unit.

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:28 pm

I reply with some idea but it wasn't saved. It was long and I am tired so I will just give you a hint.
Try the experiment with different intensity of light that plants are exposed to.
Browse the forum - there were lots of posts and topics concerning factors influencing photosynthesis.
Good luck

secret
Garter
Garter

Post by secret » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:04 am

Yea, thanks for the help - that's a good idea and I have sort of used combined with another idea.

Due to the chloroplasts taking in certain wavelengths of white light, I can have the fish tank with different intensities of light. Furthermore, I can use coloured paper (you know that clear coloured stuff?) to cover the light so it shines blue, or red or whatever.

My knowledge is weak regarding bio but I will eventually catch, so, if I sound like I don't know what i am on about? lol, all apologies.

Anyways, If I have four of the same plant, same age -place them in a fish tank while exposing them to unnatural light, in which the light shines a certain colour then maybe a pattern of photosynthesis will differentiate between plants. As I understand, plants require certain wavelengths of white light to carry out photosynthesis, and depending on the plant species, the consumption of white light varies depending on the plants requirements, this is why chloroplasts are green under microscope -because they don't utilize the green energy within white light -I may be wrong, but this is what I have read in this sites tutorial topics.

What do you guys think of this experiment and do you have any suggestions which may extend an idea?
G GggGgGg Unit.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:08 pm

sounds good. Run it and tell us if the results are consistent with plants needing blue or red light.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

secret
Garter
Garter

Post by secret » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:24 am

I have a question; when plants utilize white light, is this called absorbing wavelenghs?

In other words, is white-light wavelenghts?

As a sub heading in my report, would it be ok for me to type "photosynthesis -controlling specific wavelenghs absorbed by plants"?.

What I am trying to say is red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet are wavelenghs of whitelight.

I tryed googling it but no help there.
G GggGgGg Unit.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:02 am

Basically white light is a mix of all wavelengths (you may want to research a little more on the subject on your own), and when pigments absorb some wave length, the other are reflected to us with a given color corresponding to the mix of wave length not absorbed.

this is a good start, but you will want to look at the deinition of colors too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_spectrum
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)