Plants!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Website with floral structures

Post by SU_reptile » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:31 am

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know a good website describing in details floral and vegetative structures in different families (or just groups) of plants. Well labelled figures are welcome.
I believe there are people who know such sites.

Cynefloede

Post by Cynefloede » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:06 pm

yes, i think so... :)

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:09 pm

hey Su Reptile I had a ton of sites bookmarked for research for school, but I just went through and deleted them. I found that use the botanical name when searching, put it in quotes, and go for the edu sites you will find good info.

For example one of my papers was on Eastern Cottonwood, I used this site for a reference after putting in "populus deltoides"
:
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrology ... .cfm?ID=64

An other paper on Orchids I found a huge amount of detailed info when I used the botanical name.

Are you searching for something in particular?
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:04 pm

Are you searching for something in particular?

Well, I think... not particular thing. I want to improve my language skills on biological (botanical) field, but I can't afford for a good and up-to-date (2000<) foreign reference book. That's the reason I am looking for some detailed websites or documents.

For example, recently I was looking for a structure of a flower in Poaceae (grass) family. I found only few information on Wikipedia.
Ahh, my problem is that I know the Polish nomenclature but I don't know the English one. Perhaps you know or have some PDF with some labelled figures? If you found that deleted URLs please put them here, would you?
Big thx for a reply anyway :wink:

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:54 am

Oh did you by chance take turf grass class? That was a very boring class. :lol:

I did my mid term on native American grass, Actauly most sites I know of are on grass from the US, but I found this site for you for starters :

http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Poaceae

I will look for more later :)
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver