Beginner of Biology

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

numberrronee
Garter
Garter

Beginner of Biology

Post by numberrronee » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:36 am

hey everyone..im going to community college and need to ace all the sciences..im going to be a dentist..i want to start studying now before the semester starts..i want to learn the bio definitions but when i search on this site the definitions are way to long..is there any easier way..i just wanted to know what a cell is and i had a paragraph instead of a sentence..please help..thanks alot

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:23 am

sparknotes.com

and no, if it was summarized to a sentence the definition would have no use.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:15 am

mithrilhack wrote:and no, if it was summarized to a sentence the definition would have no use.

Agreed. And you want to learn just by memorization, but in life sciences, it is not good idea if you do not understand concepts.
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.

loveangel
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by loveangel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:57 am

i agree with that. in science, you got to memorize a lot of data basing on what you were studying. well, i got a suggestion about the definition of the cell in just one sentece. the cell is the building blocks of life.
Everybody's fighting for a position.

Condraz23
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Condraz23 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:48 am

The cell is the building block of life. They are microscopic. They are composed of organelles that perform chemical reactions. These organelles exist within the cytoplasm. There are two types of cells, eukaryotic and prokaryotic. The eukaryotes have a nucleus. The prokaryotes do not have a nucleus.

There, I think you've got the basic concept. I can expand on this if you want.