Polar Molecules and Ions......

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sunnygirl
Garter
Garter

Polar Molecules and Ions......

Post by sunnygirl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:53 am

Ok, so im homeschooled and right now I'm studying Biology. I like it but without a teacher its kinda hard, so this is my queston.... Hope atleast someone can help me understand it :?

Most polar molecules and ions cannot enter cells. Why?
*AGAPE*

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:10 am

Hey Sunnygirl!

I see that you've posted quite a few questions on here. (Which is totally kool).

However, some of the questions you've asked are BROAD... and it would take me forever to explain everything to your from the 1st step. So, can I suggest that when you ask a question ... could you please also let us know how much you know (or your interpretation of what you're reading). So that we can correct you or praise you for your "smartness"?

Also, I've found that http://www.wikipedia.org is ofter a great 'starting-point' when you have questions about biology stuff. I've found that that website is completely correct 99.9999% of the time.

So, to start you off ... (and to help you with this question) I went to http://www.wikipedia.org and typed in "phospholipid bilayer" and got this ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phospholipid_bilayer

Hope this link gives you a hint!! ... and please let us know if you have more questions or need additional clarification.

- KIM

sunnygirl
Garter
Garter

Post by sunnygirl » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:25 pm

Ok I think i understand why now, thanks for the help, and next time i'll try not to make my questions so broad, sorry, I'm just not sure about Biology. Thanks for helping me atleast, and dont worry im sure there will be more things to clear up for me....... ;)
*AGAPE*

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:23 pm

Kewl beans! Glad that you're figuring out answers for you questions!

Kudos to you!

Josh
Garter
Garter

Post by Josh » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:42 am

I'm on that same question in American School. I don't necassarily want to "cheat" but the book says that cell collision can only happen when enveloped in water, but the question says that Most polar molecules and ions cannot enter cells. I'm really confused, do you know where I can learn the answer to this question? I read the thing in wikipedia and I'm still not getting it. Biology's been a tough subject...

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:47 pm

A lot of the pore proteins in cells may carry charges inside the openings that exclude / repel ions and some polar molecules.

Josh
Garter
Garter

Post by Josh » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanks a lot dude :D