Need help, research

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
BillNyeTheScienceGuy
Garter
Garter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:49 pm

Need help, research

Post by BillNyeTheScienceGuy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:53 pm

This isn't homework, I'm currently working in the research department at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and I need to know, which of the following would LEAST be affected by damaged receptor proteins on a cell membrane? homeostasis, muscle activity, nerve signals or diffusion?

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:54 pm

diffusion --> through the membrane ?

i don't know if there is any least affected system, since all are highly regulated by receptors.

User avatar
LilKim
Coral
Coral
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:36 pm
Contact:

Post by LilKim » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:40 pm

Water diffusing passively across a membrane is not a receptor mediated process. So i would guess diffusion would not be affected by a damaged/non-functional receptor.

Homeostatis would be affected because ... the molecular mechanisms necessary to maintain homeostatsis encompass many different signal transduction pathways molecules and receptors.

Muscle activity is also quite a broad topic ... and (although I can't think of any recptor mediated muscular activity) i'm almost 100% confident that muscles have many types of receptors .. that respond to external stimuli.

(I'm sure some of the science wiz-kids on this web-site can name off a couple receptors ... of the top of their head ... Kudos to these smart people!! Cuz, i'm not a physiology person).

Anyways, take a peek at this .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_receptor Hope this is a hint for helping you with your research!

buena suerte!
- KIM

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:14 pm

LilKim wrote:Water diffusing passively across a membrane is not a receptor mediated process. So i would guess diffusion would not be affected by a damaged/non-functional receptor.


and what about the carrier mediated transport ?

LilKim wrote:Homeostatis would be affected because ... the molecular mechanisms necessary to maintain homeostatsis encompass many different signal transduction pathways molecules and receptors.


agreed

LilKim wrote:Muscle activity is also quite a broad topic ... and (although I can't think of any recptor mediated muscular activity) i'm almost 100% confident that muscles have many types of receptors .. that respond to external stimuli.


muscles are activated by somatic motorneurons which release Ach and other substances that deploarise the sarcolemma. Thus highly dependant on receptors (including the internal receptors on the sarcoplasmic reticulum which releases Ca(2+) into the sarcoplasm)

User avatar
LilKim
Coral
Coral
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:36 pm
Contact:

Post by LilKim » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:09 pm

I am only reffering to passive transport (ie. simple diffusion ....) which is not a receptor mediated process.

Of course, actively transported water and carrier mediated transport ... both requiring energy CAN BE a receptor mediated processes. (which I thought was not called "diffusion"??? but I could be wrong?)

I appologize intentionally leaving out details .. which i did in the name of simplicity.

Anyways, good luck with your research!
- KIM

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: holland
Contact:

Post by sdekivit » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:04 am

LilKim wrote:Of course, actively transported water and carrier mediated transport ... both requiring energy CAN BE a receptor mediated processes. (which I thought was not called "diffusion"??? but I could be wrong?)

KIM


it's a form of diffusion because it needs a concentration gradient (except the active transport which can go against the concentration gradient)

an example of receptor that are important in diffusion are the ligand-gated ionchannels.

User avatar
LilKim
Coral
Coral
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:36 pm
Contact:

Post by LilKim » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:33 am

yes ... you're right ...! (

xand_3r
Garter
Garter
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Romania

Post by xand_3r » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:18 am

Water isn't transported by carrier proteins. The only two ways water can enter the cell is either through simple diffusion or through special channels (similar to ion chanells) called aquaporines. Not only water can pass through simple diffusion, but also small, nonpolar molecules like NO, CO and hydrophobic substances such as steroids. I have to agree with LilKim that simple diffusion would be the least affected mechanism, just because it doesn't require receptors or transporters.

Sappertone

Post by Sappertone » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:59 pm

yes, i think so... :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests