Yeast genome

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Sang
Garter
Garter

Post by Sang » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:41 am

I want to ask, too! Uh, what are u talking about?
Yeasts? Ah, I have some problem with them too. I had a lesson about this title (but about genom). I think all of u can help me, there are a lot of new words that I can Understand!
*I'm a student in Vietnam. My major is Biology.
Here... That lesson:
So Much Diversity, Such Little Cells
Comparative yeast genomics reveals mechanisms of genome evolution
Despite their small size, yeasts are undisputed titans in evolutionary terms. The genetic diversity of the 100,000 known species rivals the entire chordate phylum, thanks to yeast's short lifespan, rapid reproduction, and small genomes.
Consequently, comparative genomic studies with yeast reveal a molecular diversity never before anticipated.
The three Hot Papers presented here describe yeast genome evolution in unprecedented detail , providing compelling evidence for whole-genome duplication - a controversial theory first suggested in 1970.1 Because they provide insights for large-scale evolutionary mechanisms for practically any genome, "these are landmark papers," says Andre Goffeau of the Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.

--> Anyone can rewrite it how to understand easily?

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:41 am

Uhh... I think the previous post is off-topic and I really don't understand the question (if there is). Mr. Sang posted some info about yeast genome but they aren't about yeast growth. Maybe the mods can move his post to the Mol Bio forum?

Sang
Garter
Garter

Post by Sang » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:02 am

OK! No matter! I think I should get that into the "Genetic"!