Cheek cell

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jayboi2005
Garter
Garter

Cheek cell

Post by jayboi2005 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:54 pm

Hello my microscope arrived today so the first thing i did was look at an onlin cell i soon got board. So moved onto a cheek cell. Well when i look under the microscope i see lots of cells but they are all like rainbow coloured any idea why? if what i see is normal then why are they that colour?

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:08 am

That's really weird. Have you added stains to the slides? I usually add methylene blue and safranin to easily view the blue nuclei and pink cells; but I haven't as yet encountered rainbow colored cheek cells. Maybe the problem is with the microscope. Dirty perhaps? Out of focus?

good luck

Condraz23
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Condraz23 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:56 am

It's always a good idea to use stains. They would make your cells look more clearer and defined.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:35 pm

if you didn't use stains what you are seeing is simply light being reflected by fat on your cheek cells.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:53 pm

MrMistery wrote:if you didn't use stains what you are seeing is simply light being reflected by fat on your cheek cells.

Cool! I didn't know about this. I guess this is not too common; my students have all been skinny or may not have fat deposits in their cheeks.

Any feedback from jayboi2005?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:49 pm

It depends on the type of microscope. But i can say from experience, if you use big magnification and have just the right lenses, you will see a beautiful rainbow :lol: :lol:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:49 am

It may be oil from your finger tips on slide or lens. Or light diffraction like MrMistery says.
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.