Amino acid synthesis in bacteria

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

neon
Garter
Garter

Amino acid synthesis in bacteria

Post by neon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Could somebody confirm whether my assumptions are correct please?

Micro-organisms such as e.coli can synthesise all of the amino acids required for the proteins they produce. I assume the constituents of these amino acids come from molecules they ingest from the environment.

Is this correct? If so, what mechanism is responsible for converting resources in to the amino acids? I presume it cant be a gene, as these encode for amino acids themselves. Perhaps these amino acids arise as intermediary parts of metabolic pathways?
Does this make sense or I am way off target?

thanks

n

seaseasea
Garter
Garter

Post by seaseasea » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 am

E.coli could synthesize 20 amino acids required for synthesis of proteins.If the environment is rich in one or two or all of 20 amino acids,E.coli doesn't sythesize those amino acids.
E.coli could use carbon resources and nitrogen resources to make amino acids through metabolic pathways.Those reactions are catalyzed by all kinds of enzymes encoded by genes.
U could look biochemistry.
Good luck!
Happiness is my favourite!God is also my favourite!
Happiness is also God!

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Yep seaseasea is right. All the amino acids needed by E. coli can be synthesized via transcription then translation from the bacterial chromosome. The instance a particular bacterium can no longer synthesize a specific a.a. then it is called an auxotroph and the a.a. should be supplied in the medium so that that bacteria can grow.

xientian
Garter
Garter

Post by xientian » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:38 am

i want to clear something...

do all bacteria contain amino acids???

sorry for that dumb question...i'm only in grade8.
:cry:
tnx!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:04 am

what do you mean contain?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

xientian
Garter
Garter

Post by xientian » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:25 am

sorry...

i mean, do all bacteria 'produce' amino acids? :cry:

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:09 am

i don't knwo of any bacteria that can't produce any aminoacid(but then again, i don't know all the bacteria on Earth) but there are some bacteria that can't produce all them, and can just produce some. For these organisms to grow, you have to give them the special aminoacids they require(put them in the growth medium)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

chemistry_freako
Coral
Coral

Post by chemistry_freako » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Not sure if all of them do, but for those which do, it's most likely not produced all the time, only when they need - e.g. those control mechanisms of operons (e.g. tryptophan operon?)? Not too sure if i'm going the right way, pardon me if i'm wrong
化学は、最高です

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:02 am

I think all organisms can produce all the necessary amino acids for them to grow, some amino acids does not exist in nature though but can be synthesized chemically. All bacteria therefore can produce their own amino acid EXCEPT the auxotrophs, or the mutants that contain damaged/deleted DNA and thus you have to supply the lacking amino acid onto the culture medium for it to grow and multiply.

To screen for auxotrophy is to just place the bacteria in minimal medium (culture media without amino acid but with N and C sources) and watch for growth/ absence of growth.

lara
Coral
Coral

Post by lara » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:19 am

theoretically....
why don't we insert the genes for essential amino acids into our own genome and put the deficiency question to rest????