Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

2 or 4 types in English?

Post by SU_reptile » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:50 pm

Hi there everybody.
I am preparing my herbarium concerning Asteraceae family for the exam in Systematic botany and I want also to make some figures for introduction. With English labels also.
In Poland we distinguish four types of flowers in Asteraceae family i.e. two types of disc flowers and two types of ray flowers. I have search the websites and some English literature for that, but I found only those two types I have mentioned above.
Could somebody tell me, wheather there are four or two types of flowers in Asteraceae family in English nomenclature? Please.

Gano
Garter
Garter

Post by Gano » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:26 am

from what i read there are 2. what are the names in poland? do you use latin? or are they polish names? what distinguishes the 4 types?

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:46 am

Hmmm. I have never seen the latin names for any flowers in Asteraceae. However I may try to translate these Polish names directly into English. Here they are:
    disc flowers - tube flowers (fertile) and funnel flowers (infertile)
    ray flowers - ligule flowers (fertile) and pseudoligule flowers (infertile).

If you claim that there are only those two types without distinguishing between fertile and infertile flowers I have no more questions. Big thx for reply. I appreciate :P

Gano
Garter
Garter

Post by Gano » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:45 pm

i think the mix up is that the english sites are saying there are 2 main types with both fertile and infertile. is that correct? in polish perhaps you consider fertile and infertile a different type?

we consider them as the same type just either fertile or infertile.

are you also into reptiles and amphibians? that is my true passion!

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 pm

Mhm, I understand. I have noticed that in English nomenclature is sometimes different to Polish one. Some things are considered as one creation while in Polish it's splitted into a few different ones and vice versa. As in case of flowers in Asteraceae.
I have been studying English for four years at the moment and I try to have the same biological knowledge in both Polish and English.

As far as reptiles are concerned - yes they have been my passion since I remember :P .
I know that it's not the topic refering to our interests but I'd like to say that reptiles are my zoological favourites and I always try to find some time to take some nice pictures of them. I have some pics on my website.