Screening for Bioactive Compounds!!

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

speedpulse
Garter
Garter

Screening for Bioactive Compounds!!

Post by speedpulse » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:34 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum..and I think I would need some help and guide on how to go about wth my postgrad project..

I'm screening for bioactive compounds from marine organisms, which is sub divided into three separate stages:
1)Extraction
2)Purification
3)Characterization

As for extraction, I'm using methanol extraction as it is able to break down every compound present in the organism..I'm using dried marine organism as my sample, like what is normally used in traditional chinese medicine. So my question is that, for extraction, will it be better if I was to pound the dried organism into powder before soaking it into the methanol, or jus by soaking the whole organism in methanol is ok....

Please...I need help for this, anyone...

And I would be very much happy if anyone could please help me with a manual guide on my laboratory procedures for purification. I'm goin to use HPLC to purify the compounds.....The do's and dont's...

Thanx alot guys.....

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:14 am

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

speedpulse
Garter
Garter

Post by speedpulse » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanx alot mithrilhack....

IT really helped me alot....I mean, technically...

The biggest problem im facing at the moment, is to get the required biomass of my sample...Need 'tonnes' of it...in order to be able to extract the compounds out from them..

:(