Please give me some suggestion!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

fwso
Garter
Garter

Please give me some suggestion!

Post by fwso » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:06 am

Hello everyone,

I am a freshman of university. My major is biology, but I don't not how to started, Please give me some suggestions. Thank you!

I am from China, and I am not good at English,please forgive my poor English!
I also will be very glad to receive your email, my email is :
[email protected]
I will be glad to receive your suggestions of no matter biology or my poor English.

daniel.kurz
Coral
Coral

Post by daniel.kurz » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:10 pm

That is a very broad statement would you mind explaining what you are looking for a bit clearer?

fwso
Garter
Garter

Post by fwso » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:00 am

Thank you!
I am a freshman of biology, our university have not give us any course of biology,but other subjects such as mathematics,physics etc. But I want to begin my biology study for myself, but I don't not what kinds of book is suitable for me. There are so many subjects of biology and so many kinds of books on one subjects, it's difficult for me to make a choice.

Thank you again!
I will be glad to receive your suggestions of no matter biology or my poor English.

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Post by GreenDog » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:26 pm

Well, welcome to the wonderful world of life sciences!
If you want to study biology by yourself go outside see the animals, the birds, the flowers… because you won't see many of them during your degree. If you want to read something you might want to look for some popular science books like "the double helix" or "the selfish gene".
During your degree you will learn enough conventional biology, and after one semester you will pretty much understand what goes where, but the curiosity and the excitement from novel things might be lost.
So enjoy biology and don't take too much on yourself.
"When In Danger Or In Doubt Run In Circles Scream And Shout"
Lawrence J. Peter