personal recognition of a drinking problem?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

shadow
Garter
Garter

personal recognition of a drinking problem?

Post by shadow » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:36 am

My discussions with a relative about recent behavior resulting in two DUI's in a year. The persons point is if there is something lacking in the dicission making process that prevents them from recognizing that they are doing something wrong. Respectable replys are requested as this person is very dear to me. Thank you.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:28 pm

It depends on where you go for advice, some people may see it more as a disease with genetic and biological factors while others see it more as a test of will power. I prefer to think of the latter. Either ways, you'll find research on both sides of the argument.

Reminds me of the movie Gattaca:

"For the genetically superior, things are easier but by no means guaranteed. After all, there's no gene for fate."

Good luck with your discussion.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:07 am

Also depends on age of person you are talking about.
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:26 am

I am sorry about this for you :(
I have many dear ones who refuse to see their addiction problem and I agree it is a will thing. But first they themselves have to recognize they are an alchoholic, before recovery can begin. Until that happens there is only one thing loved ones can do is LET them suffer consequences of their own poor choices do not pick them up if they fall. and by not enabling them is the only way they may see the truth. Its called tough love.

look up alchoholics al anon to learn more about it.
and to find a local chapter, good support group:

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver