DNA structure

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

king_23
Garter
Garter

DNA structure

Post by king_23 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:42 pm

Chemicals toxic to DNA would interfere most immediately with what cell/body function? Explain.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Ability of student to do thir homework by themselves.

Hint find the MSDS of any chemical interfering with DNA, better a few different one and think, will tell about body functions. For the cell functions, it is not that hard to figure out, is it?
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

majik1213
Garter
Garter

Post by majik1213 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:42 pm

wow, that question is hard because it's not specific. I will just say it interferes with DNA replication. Or maybe I should go into detail and say it will competitively bind with, oh say helicase, thereby preventing the unzipping of the DNA double helix necessary for replication and transcription. Or perhaps it competitively binds with DNA polymerase I, thereby preventing the proofreading action needed to correct DNA mutations. Another choice would be that the toxin would inhibit DNA polymerase III, which I guess would leave you with unzipped DNA everywhere and RNA primers, but no replicated strands. If ligase were inhibited, you could expect okazaki fragments everywhere, and a failed replication. At any rate, fuzzy questions produce fuzzy answers.

majik1213
Garter
Garter

Post by majik1213 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:39 pm

of course, the most immediate answer that jumps to mind is that, if a chemical is toxic to DNA itself, then it will interfere with REPLICATION because replication requires, as a substrate, the very DNA the toxin destroys. If DNA is unavailable, replication cannot occur. Secondary effects include non-programmed cellular death.

fscottdahlgren
Garter
Garter

Post by fscottdahlgren » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:08 am

This question has no answer. Explanation: nothing is toxic to DNA, its just a polymer. You need at least two polymers to make a cell, maybe three.

dr. dugmore
Coral
Coral

Post by dr. dugmore » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:09 am

true, Dna cant be "Killed" in a sence it is not alive, it is a part of a cell, not a cell itself, correct
The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.
Charles Darwin