Can we afford to choose which biotech to embrace?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lifesciences
Garter
Garter

Can we afford to choose which biotech to embrace?

Post by lifesciences » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:21 am

I have been reading an interviewof Dr. Hans Kast, the President of BASF, one of the world's biggest chemical companies in Rainer Paslack's blog, Life Sciences Blog (http://www.lifesciencesblog.com). Dr. Hans is unhappy that opponents of genetically modified crops have failed to explain to the public why GM food seems to be unacceptable while medicines manufactured from genetic process are okay.

I totally agree with Dr. Hans. Personally, I see nothing wrong with gmos, especially to poor countries. GMOs can make a big change in poor countries where most people live on one meal a day.
Last edited by lifesciences on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Post by GreenDog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:36 am

I think that this is a form of technophobia. Some people are afraid that the modified crops might create "ecological" problems, that we might create some very resistant crops that might be too invasive and wouldn't let other things grow, and other stuff of this kind. But people "modified" crops from a very early stage of agriculture development by crossing plants and thus moving genes from one type of plants to another. And this is O.K. with everyone!
"When In Danger Or In Doubt Run In Circles Scream And Shout"
Lawrence J. Peter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:31 pm

There's also the bt corn scare....While I do support gmo, I do think the companies need much tighter controls on testing.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

mihaiionita_me
Garter
Garter

Post by mihaiionita_me » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:18 pm

I agree to with Dr. Hans Kast. The GMO's is good but can be use in bad ways.