Biology experiment for Bio 1004

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:26 pm

I'm beginning to think everyone is as clueless about this experiment as I am. :(

Where are the true scientists on this forum lol!!! The ones who experiment :shock:
the brainy ones

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:34 am

In tube you have buffer +Acid, in tube 2 you have water+acid. You identified that, and you have agood def of buffer. Water has no buffering capacity, so it change pH with whatever you had (and pure water conserved in contact with air tend to become acidic because of the dissolution of CO2.

So yes as you said the point is to check the effct of pH. And your colleague is completely wrong.
And since the 2 experiments have the same outcome, the conclusion is obvious. Don't banick, you are right.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:50 am

9) you have 2 conditions perfectly defined, it is well designed and conclusive.

10) It is really up to you to decide which is control, wich is experiment, but I would say tube 1 (buffer is experiment, because pH is physiological) and tube 2 is experiment. Variable is pH.

11) Right

12) Not very different from 10...

13) Not good. Since you want to test the effect of pH amylase with dye, an imprtant control is the effect of the pH on the dye. How would you do that? To be more complete, youu study pH, what kind of variation on the sme thing could you imagine?

14) You have to write the hypothesis to answer.

15) Ouch. wrong. First there is no such thing as protein cells. (cells contain proteins and much more, protein are one kind of brick of the building. But your hypothesis suggest that you missed something important. Why are there enzymes calles amylase, phosphatases, ligase, Reverse transcriptase etc? All those names reflects a properties of enzymes in general, it is a key to your answer. Good luck
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:41 am

Canalon wrote:9) you have 2 conditions perfectly defined, it is well designed and conclusive.

10) It is really up to you to decide which is control, wich is experiment, but I would say tube 1 (buffer is experiment, because pH is physiological) and tube 2 is experiment. Variable is pH.

11) Right

12) Not very different from 10...

13) Not good. Since you want to test the effect of pH amylase with dye, an imprtant control is the effect of the pH on the dye. How would you do that? To be more complete, youu study pH, what kind of variation on the sme thing could you imagine?

14) You have to write the hypothesis to answer.

15) Ouch. wrong. First there is no such thing as protein cells. (cells contain proteins and much more, protein are one kind of brick of the building. But your hypothesis suggest that you missed something important. Why are there enzymes calles amylase, phosphatases, ligase, Reverse transcriptase etc? All those names reflects a properties of enzymes in general, it is a key to your answer. Good luck

Wow cool thanks so much!!!!

That was the stupidest experiment I've seen so far in this class. I think it was designed to show us how an bad experiment it is in the first place, but if I approach it from the wrong premise to begin with, it will cut my grade on this paper from a 100 to a 66. So I've got to get the darn thing right.