Biology experiment for Bio 1004

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Biology experiment for Bio 1004

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Anyone wanna help me out. My lab partners can't read. And their hypotheses doesn't even fit the experiment. And I would like to keep my A in this class.

I'm a PR major why do I have to do this?

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:16 pm

what's your experiment? what's the hypothesis?

I need more information to help you... please fill me in on the details (so that I can help)

- KIM

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 pm

Tube #1 contained:
0 Water, 20 drps starch, 20 drps buffer (ph7), 20 drops acid, 3 drops amylase, 3 drops dye, it turned the tube dark blue, and asked if starch was present at the end.

Tube #2 contained the same except no buffer but water was included and it has a ph of 7 as well.

I'm not clear on why we have a buffer, definition says It resists changes in Ph by donating hydrogen ions.

Ok the lab partners want to write a hypothesis for this experiment that says something to the effect:

Ph does effect enzyme activity when the temperature of the amylase is changed. STupid stupid stupid. #1 its not boiled amylase its normal amylase. Boiled was in the preceding experiments. So i rewrote the hypotheses to:

If I place a buffer with a ph of 7 in one tube, and water in the other tube, both with the enzyme amylase, the tube should show the presence of starch if the ph effected the breakdown of Starch to glucose by the amylase

Since I'm not sure what purpose the buffer is serving here, I don't even know what this experiment is about, and I can't determine if it would even show anything, because I can't identify a control group or the experimental group in it.

There are questions asking which is which.

I think the control group is Tube #1 with the buffer
I think the experimental group is Tube #2 without the buffer

However, I've been sitting here for the past 3 hours looking at this thing.
Last edited by rayzoflyfe on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 pm

This is what I THINK I see.

they gave us the experiment and asked us to form a hypotheses. I can't really see that you can form a good one from this one.

#1 Water is the same ph as a buffer with a ph of 7 so they offset each other in the experiments

Water was in tube 2
ph7 in tube 1

Everything else was the same in the experiements

If you are testing the effect of ph on amylase, this is not a good test because they should have taken out the acid in one of the experiments unless I'm misunderstanding the action of the buffer.

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:37 pm

Also, every other experiment in this series had a control group with no starch at all so you could see the color and test it against your results

And a control group with starch and no change in variables so you could see the color with starch.

As it stands it doesn't appear that this experiment has a control group, that both experiments are essentially identical and did get the same results.

And last, I have nothing to compare those results with to determine if there was an effect.

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:38 pm

Here are the questions with the lab.

9) Explain the experimental design of experiment 6.3.3
Personally I think it is inconclusive because this experiment isn’t set up correctly.

10) Is there an experimental tube in experiment 6.3.3 and what variable is being tested.
The variable being tested is linked to the buffer being in one and the water in the other,
However we are really trying to find out if the acidity of the solutions have an effect

11) Is there a control tube in experiment 6.3.3
The control tube is the one containing the buffer

12) Is there an experimental tube in experiment 6.3.3 and what variable is being tested?
Yes the experimental tube does not contain the buffer.

13) Please design a more efficient experiment that could be done in place of Experiment 6.3.3
Should place a control tube with 3 drops of water as a solvent, no starch, 3 drops of amylase, 3 drops of the dye to form a negative control group to compare against the results of the experiment. A positive control group should also be established to
Determine the results if starch is present.

14) Do the results of experiment 6.3.3 allow you to accept or reject your hypothesis?

15) We could have used albumin (egg white protein) instead of starch as a substrate a
tested for the presence/absence of protein after exposure to amylase. Predict the results of that experiment and explain the reasoning behind your prediction.

Proteins can also be broken down by enzymes just as starches. Since amylase is an enzyme it would break the proteins down to their amino acid monomers. Since the experiments would basically be the same as the ones performed on the starch, the results of the protein experiments would be essentially the same. However in the last experiment, I believe that the acid would have more of an effect in breaking down the protein than the starch because acids do denature protein cells.

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Ok lets start here, does anyone know what a buffer does in an acidic solution?

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:36 pm

rayzoflyfe wrote:Ok lets start here, does anyone know what a buffer does in an acidic solution?

Doesn't it slow down the reaction rate?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:39 pm

Very strange experiement, the buffer would only be useful if the reaction caused a pH change...
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:02 pm

mithrilhack wrote:Very strange experiement, the buffer would only be useful if the reaction caused a pH change...

ok if that buffer resists ph like the definition says

A buffer, as defined by Van Slyke [1], is "a substance which by its presence in solution increases the amount of acid or alkali that must be added to cause unit change in pH".

See what you guys think of these answers I gave.

6.3.3 Does pH effect enzyme activity?

1) Provide a tentative hypothesis for this question. Remember that a hypothesis
Must be testable and several hypotheses are possible

Is this a trick experiment designed to teach us critical thinking skills?

My first hypothesis was this:
PH will effect the enzymatic properties of amylase in a starch solution and cause the breakdown of starch to glucose and the first statement in item #2 was the If then portion of that hypotheses

Personally I don’t see that you can actually form any hypotheses from this
Experiment that meets the criteria of the heading of this section which is, “Does pH effect enzyme activity?” The tubes are essentially the same experiment with the same results.

This is more an experiment about whether water and a buffer with ph7 will
Have the same effect on the breakdown of starch when they react with amylase in an acidic solution. However, that does not fit the topic heading, “Does pH effect enzyme activity?”.

So if that is to be a hypothesis then my hypothesis is:
Water and ph 7 will have the same reaction on amylase in an acidic solution

2) Read over the procedures below then predict the results of your experiment
Based on your hypothesis with a sentence in the form “If I do . . . then . . .”

This was my first hypotheses, but once again, this does not fit this experiment.
But the experiment also does not fit the topic heading so I am so confused.
If I place a buffer with a ph of 7 in one tube, and water in the other tube, both with the enzyme amylase, the tube should show the presence of starch if the ph effected the breakdown of Starch to glucose by the amylase

After looking closely at this experiment a more correct hypothesis would be:
If I put water in tube #1 with acid and amylase, and a buffer with a ph of 7 in
Tube #2 with acid and amylase, then both will react the same with regard to the starch in an acidic solution.

In order to perform an experiment that coincides with the topic of this section, The variable in the experiment should have been the elimination of the acid from
The experiment which would have given one tube a greater ph than the other.
Essentially you cannot form a hypotheses with regard to the effect of ph on the enzyme amylase with this experiment because the variable is wrong.

9) Explain the experimental design of experiment 6.3.3
The design of this experiment is wrong. It set up two tubes and the variables are water in
Tube 2 which has a ph of 7 and a buffer in tube 1 with a ph of 7. Essentially the ph of
These experiments are the same. The variable should have been the acid which should
Have been eliminated in one of the tubes thus testing whether or not a change in ph
Would cause hinder the amylase in the breakdown of glucose.

10) Is there an experimental tube in experiment 6.3.3 and what variable is being tested.
The variable being tested is linked to the buffer being in one and the water in the other,
However we are really trying to find out if the acidity of the solutions have an effect
So why did we put buffer in one and water in the other instead of eliminating the acid in
One? And where is the control group through which to compare it

11) Is there a control tube in experiment 6.3.3
Since the buffer and the water have the same ph I don’t think there is one

12) Is there an experimental tube in experiment 6.3.3 and what variable is being tested?
I think both tubes are experimental tubes and the experiment is set up incorrectly

13) Please design a more efficient experiment that could be done in place of Experiment 6.3.3
Should place a control tube with 3 drops of water as a solvent, no starch, 3 drops of amylase, 3 drops of the dye to form a negative control group to compare against the results of the experiment.
A positive control group should also be established which uses the same chemicals in
My negative control group except you should add the starch and check the color
Finally I believe the experiment should eliminate the acid in one of the experiments
Because both experiments are essentially the same at this point.

14) Do the results of experiment 6.3.3 allow you to accept or reject your hypothesis?
Neither because there was no control group to begin with and the experiment needs
The control group to be effective.

15) We could have used albumin (egg white protein) instead of starch as a substrate a
tested for the presence/absence of protein after exposure to amylase. Predict the results of that experiment and explain the reasoning behind your prediction.

Proteins can also be broken down by enzymes just as starches. Since amylase is an enzyme it would break the proteins down to their amino acid monomers. Since the experiments would basically be the same as the ones performed on the starch, the results of the protein experiments would be essentially the same.

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:09 pm

Oh and the other thing is that in this experiment, both tubes reacted the same.

rayzoflyfe
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by rayzoflyfe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:17 pm

Unless the real conclusion is that acid does not effect amylase in the breakdown of starch?