How Much Do We Actually Use?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Khaiy
Coral
Coral

How Much Do We Actually Use?

Post by Khaiy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:43 am

OK, I've always heard the numbers thrown around (at least, ever since the movie version of Matilda came out) that humans only ever use 10% of our brains. Years later, I read a book that stated this to be a flat out lie; that we used 100% of our brains to think. While the book was certainly more scientific than Hollywood is ever likely to be, it was still far from a scholarly journal.

So this leaves me with the question: How much of our brains do we actually use? I realize that this is fairly vague (for example, if we used 10% for conscious thought and 90% for reflexive stuff, we'd be using 10% the way that the movies might define it, but 100% in reality), but I'd really like to know once and for all. It may also be that there is no definitive answer yet, but if anyone knows and would like to post the answer here I would be very appreciative.

herb386
Garter
Garter

Post by herb386 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:53 am

I've done a bit of neuroscience and as far as I can see every part of the brain seems to have a function. I think the 10% thing is probably from studies where they do a brain scan while getting people to do various tasks. People would only use a bit of their brain to complete the task but that part of the brain would be different depending on the task. The part of the brain that is used depends on what you're doing and as you can't do everything all at once the brain isn't all active at once.

But I'm not a neuroscientist so I could be completely wrong.

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:42 am

well Sorry I cant answer what is the latest unless I do some googles. But it used to be That most people do only use 10% That was the estimate from scientists. But Einstein used I think to remember correctly was 30%
(Why his forhead was so big!) :lol:

Of course every part of the brain is for something. But like a muscle if you don't use it you loose it. There are excersizes for the brain.

And the subconscious is not utilized by some people. :?

Now I have to do a google search.
~Later
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

damien james
Coral
Coral

Re: How Much Do We Actually Use?

Post by damien james » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:41 am

Khaiy wrote:OK, I've always heard the numbers thrown around (at least, ever since the movie version of Matilda came out) that humans only ever use 10% of our brains. Years later, I read a book that stated this to be a flat out lie; that we used 100% of our brains to think. While the book was certainly more scientific than Hollywood is ever likely to be, it was still far from a scholarly journal.

So this leaves me with the question: How much of our brains do we actually use? I realize that this is fairly vague (for example, if we used 10% for conscious thought and 90% for reflexive stuff, we'd be using 10% the way that the movies might define it, but 100% in reality), but I'd really like to know once and for all. It may also be that there is no definitive answer yet, but if anyone knows and would like to post the answer here I would be very appreciative.

Yeah, you are on right track. Majority of brain is unconscious control.
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.