Back to uni - help!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

cheekymonkey
Garter
Garter

Back to uni - help!

Post by cheekymonkey » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Hello!

Hope you can help me, here goes...

I graduated 2 years ago with 2:1 biochem and microbiology, then took some time out working to save money then travelling / volunteering at reserves /animal sanctuaries (volunteering for about 5 months)

I really want to go back and do a masters, but im worried im too late to apply now as ive only just stared looking through the mountain of courses + not 100% on what i want to do yet.

If i waited another year would it be really hard to get onto a course? Have i had too much time out already??

Id really appreciate any advice, thanks!!! :) :lol: :lol:

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:10 am

I waited 5 years (after completing my bachelors/undergrad degree) to start my graduate career.

However, I live in the US... and I know that most schools will not discriminate against you for taking 'time-off'. To do other things. (and for me, the time off helped me to realize how much I loved science... and i REALLYY KNEW that I wanted to be a researcher)

best wishes!
- KIM

blankscreen
Garter
Garter

Post by blankscreen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:11 am

It seems as though you have spent your time out of school very well. Your volunteering experiences as well as your experiences out in the working world will undoubtedly help you in whatever you intend to pursue in grad school ( I am assuming that you will do something in the Life Sciences) and this is also something that grad schools will be sure to appreciate.

If you are worried about age, it is usually not to big a factor when dealing with grad schools. My advisor told me about a man who went to med school at about the age of 50 and he went on to finish and achieve an MD. So age is not much of an issue.

I think that you should go to grad school when you are ready and sure of the course you want to take.

Good Luck :)

cheekymonkey
Garter
Garter

Post by cheekymonkey » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:32 am

Thanks you both, phew i feel much better now!
I was actually thinking of doing something like medical microbiology, and was just worried because when i asked my tutor about coming back after 2 years out he looked like this --> :shock: <-- let alone 3 years! He said it was harder with molecular sciences (tho i he may have thought i meant to do a PhD rather than a masters?!)