Capillaries

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

duoheer
Garter
Garter

Capillaries

Post by duoheer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:51 pm

Only a small percentage of capillaries are open at one time. Explain how this is possible and what would happen if all of the m were to open at once.
thanks

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:04 pm

O2 would suddenly flood your brain, and you will be able to do your homework all by yourself, or even some research!

I blush at the idea of simultaneous opening of all my capillaies, and that send a chill down my spine...
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

dukekim0
Garter
Garter

Re: Capillaries

Post by dukekim0 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:42 am

duoheer wrote:Only a small percentage of capillaries are open at one time. Explain how this is possible and what would happen if all of the m were to open at once.
thanks

All the capillaries in your body are open all the time unless there is a clog, which can lead to fatal consequences. However, the arterioles in your body can expand or contract in response to hormones and the autonomic nervous system. In order to maintain homeostasis, some areas of your body has constricted arterioles while other areas do not. If all of your arterioles were to open all at once, your blood pressure would drop considerably because there would be less resistance to the flow of blood. In order to compensate for the sudden drop in total peripheral resistance, your heart rate would increase to maintain a viable level of cardiac output. Without this compensatory mechanism, vital organs such as your brain would not receive sufficient amounts of oxygen and cells would die.