my Husband is in the Hospital with very low WBC

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

binky
Garter
Garter

my Husband is in the Hospital with very low WBC

Post by binky » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:53 pm

my husband has been hospitalized for a week with a mysterious ailment, they are studying his blood, and found that the WBC were very low, he had rheumatoid arthritis very young in life, and has a spiking fever every night(night sweats), and now have discovered a large abcess in his bowel, yesterday they said they are looking at a diagnosis of Feldees Syndrome?? As the neutropina seem to be destroyed. also a very enlarged spleen, they can't do surgery for the bowel until they bring his blood up. I can't find anything about this topic."feldees syndrome?? All the doctors seem to be scratching their heads, they take blood and cultures every four hours?? Any information??

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:11 pm

I can said that your husband have a neutropenia and thus his spleen is growing big in order to fulfill the defense system by works harder in generating WBC.
I maybe don't know anything abour Fedless syndrome, but the doctors are culturing your husband's blood to regenerate his WBC in the lab. This is done because everyone's neutrophils have a different receptors and they're really specific. So, if your husband get a WBC transfussion from other person, a rejection will occur and thus making your husband's condition even worse.

Well, That's all that I can say...I'm not a doctor, so, if you wanna details..just ask them..:wink:
I hope that your husband get better soon and please send my regards to him..

Regards,
Victor
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

binky
Garter
Garter

my Husband's Condition

Post by binky » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:41 am

today, after numerous cultures, the lab flubbed up and froze his blood samples!!! now they have decided that with the abcess in the bowel, and the spleen very large, to do another C.T. Scan, injecting dye into him for this one, his spirit is down, and he told me that when his fever spikes, and he turns over, where his spine was on the bed , is like a hot iron was there!! They are giving him I.V. antibiotic, but it seems that because he is in the Cancer part of the hospital, they just want to keep looking for cancer!! His attitude is that if they have to operate on the bowel, why not take the spleen out at the same time, they won't do anything until his blood level is up, is it possible to do both at once? I'm worried that having him lay there with all the poison from the abcess in the bowel, will further complicate his blood??

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:17 am

I can say that the doctors are looking for cancer because according to them, cancer has the highest possibilities for such symtoms. Your husband's body is very hot because of the immune mechanisms, where heat is needed to proliferate immune system cells faster, but the heat also cause a tissue damage in his body.

Taking out the spleen, I think is just make the problem become worse, because immune system regulation processes happen there.

Yup, I also think the same, they just can give your husband antibiotics which also works as anti-inflammatory agent (to reducee the fever) and wait for his own immune system do all the rest..also, waiting for your husband's blood culture.

If the culture is complete, then your husband will have an adequate WBC to wipe out pathogens there..

By the way, where's your husband being hospitalized?
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Hey Binky!

So sorry to hear about what you're going through. But I wanted to send you well wishes!

Stay positive and don't waste your time worrying about whether he has cancer or not. Deal with the situation at hand and wait for the diagnosis... and THEN worry about the next step.

For all we know, he may not even have cancer ... so don't freak yourself out and worry about it until you know.

Of course, i know that this is alot easier said than done... I too was in the hospital 3 weeks ago. And the doctors thought that I had cancer .... I had surgery 5 days after my ultrasound and biopsies ... and by the grace of God... I don't have cancer.

So, all i'm saying is to try to stay as positive as possible ... and I wish the best for you and your husband! (and i hope his situation turns-out as well as mine did!)

take care!
- KIM