can someone help me with my science homework?

Discussion of the distribution and abundance of living organisms and how these properties are affected by interactions between the organisms and their environment

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

XxabbyXx-
Garter
Garter

can someone help me with my science homework?

Post by XxabbyXx- » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:10 pm

heyy guys.
i have all these questions about
trophic levels and energy flow in food chains
and i relaly need some help.
the things i cant find are like...
what happens to the energy that is not transferred from trophic level to trophic level...
anndd what role decomposers play in the energy flow of an ecosystem...
any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
thnx
XxabbyXx-

far-out
Garter
Garter

Post by far-out » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:34 am

The acquired energy that doesn't go on growth of an organism or storage of nutrients is used for maintenance of all metabolic processes. Certain amount of energy is being lost during the digestion and transformation of food into another molecules. Furthermore, some part of food goes through the digestive tract and remains unchanged. It compounds all not transferred energy.
...there will be fireflies and glow-worms at night to guide you and butterflies in the hedges and forests to greet you...

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:35 am

decomposer has job to decompose all thing that can be decomposed by it self.

any way, decomposer makes the "Unvaluable" compound for living things to be better valuable for living things....

hehe..

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:48 am

Yes, decomposers take organic products such as dead grass and bark, and break them down into simple organic compounds and minerals that can then be absorbed by the surrounding plant life.

The key thing to remember about trophic levels is that a percentage (offhand I'd say 10-60%) of the energy stored in food is not absorbed effeciently by the consumer, and is excreted as waste, or broken down into a "useless form" before excretion.
So this means that if your digestive system is 50% efficient, and a cow's digestive system is 65% efficient; you're only getting 32.5% of the original energy stored in each plant the cow eats (1x.65x.5=0.325).
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

vk4vfx
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by vk4vfx » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:51 pm

So then the inefficient digestion by the consumers helps the decomposers then they produce carbon dioxide and water its an amazing process and the beat goes on!

Stu