Spiderman

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lando45
Garter
Garter

Spiderman

Post by lando45 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:58 am

OK, so I watched both the Spiderman films recently, and I've been thinking about it an awful lot; in theory, is the idea behind Spiderman possible? Could being bitten by a genetically-engineered spider give you some spider-like powers?

far-out
Garter
Garter

Post by far-out » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:54 am

No, it is fully imaginary.
...there will be fireflies and glow-worms at night to guide you and butterflies in the hedges and forests to greet you...

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:29 pm

I wish I could find some books about how scientifically super heros could be possible, like with X men and the mutant genes. Or, at least how they try to explain some of the stuff because Doc Oct was a scientist, you know. Maybe he could have figured out spiderman's powers! I mean, theoretically. Like they try to explain them in the comics some times but I don't keep up on it. And besides those are only hints.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

lando45
Garter
Garter

Post by lando45 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:10 am

far-out wrote:No, it is fully imaginary.

But what is it that makes it imaginary? Why could it not happen?

mdcadena
Garter
Garter

Post by mdcadena » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:40 pm

Maybe the genetically engineered spider was accidently infected by a virus. This virus then incorporated some of the host DNA into its genetic makeup in order to survive in said host. Then a random mutation occured that allowed the virus to survive inside the venom glands. Therefore, when Peter Parker was bitten by the spider, the virus infected his cells and this genetically engineered DNA was incorporated into his own DNA.

I don't know it sounds a little crazy, but it is just a movie after all.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:46 pm

Yeah afew question to ask:
-developmental biology: how to develop a whole new organ in Peter's hand, when he is already grown up?

-What kind of genes gives the kind of vision, strength, etc.? To give al that what is the size of the genome that would be transfered?

-Physics: ever thought of applying the laws of physics to a super hero? I remember a book on the subject (superman rather than spiderman, but most of it holds true anyway)

In conclusion, nice story, strictly impossible without a strong suspension of disbelief.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

damien james
Coral
Coral

Post by damien james » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:10 am

I think Doc Oct could be real one day, because his powers are from machine on his back like cyborg.
The hand of God may well be all around us, but it is not, nor can it be, the task of science to dust for fingerprints.

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:19 am

Canalon wrote:Yeah afew question to ask:
-developmental biology: how to develop a whole new organ in Peter's hand, when he is already grown up?

In the comics not the movie Spiderman made the webs and a gizmo to shoot them with, they didn't come out of his body
Because he was kickass nerd! woo

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

lando45
Garter
Garter

Post by lando45 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:32 am

Some interesting points you guys have raised. I guess it could never really happen then. And the web would have to be ULTRA strong to support the weight of a human. And I agree that the web couldn't really just shoot out of his wrists like that.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:55 am

I believe spiders "lay" a web, they don't actually shoot it out like super soakers. Another thing to consider is how the whole enhanced reflex thing would work. For a spider the total distance travelled by any nerve impulse is very small compared to a human(who is much larger).
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr