DNA and Gamma radiation

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lufthoved
Garter
Garter

DNA and Gamma radiation

Post by lufthoved » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi everyone,

Do anyone know the exact damage done to DNA when exposing to gamma radiation?

I've read somewhere that it breaks both strands, but I'm sure it does more, perhaps base conversion? Anyone have a clue?

(I'm working with cell cultures.)

Thx,

Luft

raju
Garter
Garter

Post by raju » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:57 am

hi the freuency of gama rays is very well absorbed by the bases in the dna mainly puriens .they get methylated
this seems to cause no harm but showes its effects during replication the methylated puriens confuse the polymerase enzyme
wrong base pares are added due to which mutation takes place .it it is leathel the ofspring dies if not very leathel it leads to a phenotypic change in the offspring
exposure to these radiations doesnot bring any harm to the person but hes kids
this is what happened during hiroshima event
and i dont think gama rays bring about separation of two strands :)
i think this is enough
ur friendly
RAJU
the organisms that survive r not the one which r strongest nor the one which r briliant THEY R THE ONE WHICH RESPOND TO CHANGES IN NATURE FIRST

Zeneth Entorion
Garter
Garter

Post by Zeneth Entorion » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:31 am

Gamma rays can act as mutagens in two ways; both by directly influencing the structure of DNA molecules and by production of free radicals from other organic molecules which proceed to react with DNA; i.e the hydroxyl radical from water. This can result in breaks in the DNA chains, crosslinking of DNA molecules with themselves and/or proteins, and simple alteration of bases (point mutations).

See http://www-personal.k-state.edu/~bethmont/mutdes.html!

lufthoved
Garter
Garter

Post by lufthoved » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks for your answers, especially that link :-) I've been looking for that kind of documentation for like half a year :-)

I noticed that the link does not mention methylation, anyone know why?