what is this style of preserving specimens called?

Animals!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

cartwrighta
Garter
Garter

what is this style of preserving specimens called?

Post by cartwrighta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:33 am

and how is it done? obviously it has been used to preserve delicate parts in the pictures
[pictures didn't work]
if the pictures do not work, which they probably won't because of where i tried to host them...what they are is both solid, like blocks of something that you can see through and inside these blocks is first a cat larynx and second a frog skeleton. what the frog looks like is that it has been froze in a clear block of ice, the larynx looks like it is in a large piece of amber.

If anyone could point me in a direction of how to do this type of thing or even give me a name for it i would appreciate it very much!.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:36 pm

I'm thinking paraffin blocks. this is mostly used to preserve human tissue.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:46 pm

Parafin blocks are used to have proper cuts (with microtome (not sure about its spelling) ) from animal or plant tissues.
I'm trying to find my notes. I will try to give more detailed info...
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:25 pm

In one of my bio labs, we had a cat that looked like it was perserved in paraffin. But then the professor accidentally knocked it over and we found out it was actually ether =/

cartwrighta
Garter
Garter

Post by cartwrighta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:30 pm

I partially understand the process of making slides and making the cuts using a machine but I am more interested in preserving specimens in an "amber like" way just for observing or maybe having them to point out external features. I'm thinking papeweight but this isn't for any useless vanity.

vk4vfx
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by vk4vfx » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:07 pm

Well what I used to do when I was a kid was use a polymer resin or some type of plastic resin make a mold pour in the resin to roughly the halfway point (depending on the specimens size) let a thin membrane form place the specimen on top then fill to the top.

If you want to achieve the result as if the specimen has been preserved in amber then maybe experiment with small quantities of red food coloring or something along those lines until ya get the desired effect.

There is no doubt better ways of doing it but that’s roughly how I used to do it when I was a kid.

Stu

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:32 pm

If theoriginal poster is still here, or if anyone is interested in this resurected thread you could also search the forum about plastination, we had at least one post on the subject.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Gano
Garter
Garter

Post by Gano » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:02 pm

the plastic resins work great but you will probably need to fix the specimen first unless it is an arthropod or something....may start to rot. i have a cool bug keychain a made from a bug a student gave me. the trick is to get the line in the middle to disapear because it is poured in 2 or more parts.