Gene expression in Prokaryotes, Oops!?!

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

thanos00
Garter
Garter

Gene expression in Prokaryotes, Oops!?!

Post by thanos00 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:57 am

The problem is simple, I do not understand what Gene expression in Prokaryotes is about and I have my Bio exam in 5 days time. This type of gene expression was discovered by F. Jacob and J.Monod. Okay, I can learn that. But what happens when I get to things like Regulators, Promoters, Operators and Structural genes. :oops:

far-out
Garter
Garter

Post by far-out » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:59 pm

I think that you will be able to learn regulators, structural genes, promoters and many other things by that time. Good luck! The whole world is looking at you.
...there will be fireflies and glow-worms at night to guide you and butterflies in the hedges and forests to greet you...

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:14 am

gosh.. that's a vaaast question! Very difficult for me to reteach you the topic. (so i'm not going to)

however, if you write your understanding of your subject....someone on her would hapily clarify specific points that you're having difficulty with.

you can start by referencing your text book and cross referencing here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_structure

buena suerte!
-kim

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:26 am

I agree with LilKim, those points can't be explained in a few paragraphs posted in this forum. If you have difficulty understanding those concepts, try looking for a model, e.g the classical Lac operon. Its easier to correlate the concepts with some model that you see. I have an animated flash of that posted somewhere. I can post it if you need it but I guess its too late for your exam...