Why sharks completed the evolutions 100 million years ago??

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Prionace
Garter
Garter

Why sharks completed the evolutions 100 million years ago??

Post by Prionace » Wed May 31, 2006 9:23 pm

The most ancient fossils of these animals go up to around 400 million years, and the biologist thinks that their evolution has even already arrived at the most level 100 million years ago... :D

In your opinion why animals as sharks completed their evolutions while other sea inhabitants are still evolving?? :o
Creator of sharks site: http://www.prionace.it

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Wed May 31, 2006 11:23 pm

Cause they kick ass man!!!

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:19 am

Sharks are still evolving, just not as drastically as other species. Sharks 100 million years ago were rather different from sharks today. Similar, but different nonetheless.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

Prionace
Garter
Garter

Post by Prionace » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 am

I know what you're talking about, but we speak about really small differences in 100 millions years..
It is always a difference with other animals that have a quicker evolution during the times..
:P
Creator of sharks site: http://www.prionace.it

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Sharks don't need to evolve much because they're already so well adapted to their environment. If there's no reason to change, why would they?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:31 pm

tuatara, crocodiles, etc...they're prolly as specialized as it gets...
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:07 am

I think I've read one's signature, but I forgot who own it. I think it's written like this: (please apologize if I got it wrong)
"Evolution doesn't deserve a creatures whether is the strongest one nor the brilliant one. It deserve the one who can adaptate quickly to gradual changes."
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

David George
Coral
Coral

Post by David George » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:22 am

"Evolution doesn't deserve a creatures whether is the strongest one nor the brilliant one. It deserve the one who can adaptate quickly to gradual changes."

Very true but maintaining the phenotype has made the sharks superb predators it is just similar to least evolved insect the cockroach their evolution is so good they have no need to evolve much
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
-Theodosius Dobzhansky

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:48 am

Since the loss of predatory maring reptiles such as the ichthyosaurs, sharks have really not had much competition in the realm of large predatory fish. Aquatic mammals such as killer whales and dolphins are really their only competition/rivals on a large scale anymore.
Like someone before me said, they found a good thing and stuck with it. Changes in environment or organisms around them hasn't necessitated any drastic changes yet.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

thanos00
Garter
Garter

Post by thanos00 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:45 pm

If there is no reason to change why should sharks change. As evolution says: "If it works, keep it"

I like your site Prionace.

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:39 am

mithrilhack wrote:tuatara, crocodiles, etc...they're prolly as specialized as it gets...

All are also older species so they've had more time to adapt to their environment, and that is still working well for them so like everyone else said, no reason to change.
Other animals are evolving quicker because they need to, I'm sure sharks had to do the same thing. :P

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson