cell organelles

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

stunner_9
Garter
Garter

cell organelles

Post by stunner_9 » Sat May 20, 2006 12:45 pm

hullo
i just want to know why flight muscle fibres of bats contain very large numbers of mitochondria and also why when you soak lettuces in water they become crisp?????

thnx guyz

daniel.kurz
Coral
Coral

Post by daniel.kurz » Sat May 20, 2006 3:11 pm

I can tell you about the lettuce. If you don't know about hypotonic vs hypertonic that is the cause. I'll explain it for you. Everyone knows that cells contain large amounts of water and then salts. Cells of all kinds are always trying to become isotonic which means an equal concentration of solute and solvent in a cell as outside it. Now in lettuce it contains a certain amount of water and salts. When you put that peice of lettuce in a bowl of water that water has fewer salts. This means that the concentration of salt in the lettuce is higher. Now through a method called osmosis the water moves through into the lettuce. By doing this the amount of salt begins to be diluted in the lettuce and it gets closer to being isotonic.

So in conclusion lettuce gets hard because there is large amounts of water moving into that lettuce to make an equal concentration of water and salt on both sides.

I can only hypothesis that there is a large amount of mitochondria in the wings because the energy required for it to fly is tremendous. Energy is made to be used by the mitochondria out of different monosaccrides and dissachrides. The energy is probably huge so more energy makers, mitochondria, are needed to make the energy.

stunner_9
Garter
Garter

Post by stunner_9 » Sun May 21, 2006 8:04 am

now i understand thnx a lot