NAD/NADH question help!!!!

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

TIGER
Garter
Garter

NAD/NADH question help!!!!

Post by TIGER » Sat May 20, 2006 6:09 am

Hey guys,

I was doing this quiz from a biochem 2000 exam. relating to NAD/NADH for glycolysis. it reads the following

The free energy for the oxidation for glucose to CO2 and water is -686kcal/mole and the free energy for the reduction of NAD+ to NADH is +53kcal/mole. Why are only 2 molecules of NADH formed during glycolysis when it appears that as many as a dozen could be formed?

1 . There is no CO2 or H2O produced as products of glycolysis

2. Most of the free energy available from the oxidation of glucose remains in pyruvate, one of the products of glycolysis.

3. Glycolysis consists of many enzymatic reactions, each of which extracts some energy from the glucose molecule.

4. Most of the free energy available from the oxidation of glucose is used in the production of ATP in glycolysis

5. Glycolysis is a very inefficient reaction, with much of the energy of glucose treated as heat.

my understanding of biochemistry so far is that producing CO2 and H2O will result in a net release of free energy, and NAD+ to NADH will result in energy to be consumed and so reaction is non-spontaneous.

A part of my instincts go for option 3 and a part of it tells me its wrong. any hints ?? how to tackle this problem. I would appreciate any help thanx

Kugan