Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

riddic_wr
Garter
Garter

Transpiration

Post by riddic_wr » Thu May 18, 2006 6:28 am

Hi to everyone viewing this,

I was wondering, what type of plant should i use in a transpiration experiment (measuring the rate), if i changed the variable of light intensity, going on the basis it must fit into a potemeter ie. small stem diameter? I would really like it to be small, green stem plant, evidently with leaves for teh transpiration to occur out of. Any suggestions? plus, if i were to test the effect of light intensity on the rate of transpiration, what evironments should i use? Outsdie, bright sunlight, with a control? simulated sunlight, from a flood light? and should i have a dark control, to test teh effecst of no light?

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Fri May 19, 2006 3:02 pm

Good idea that gives very prominent results is carring out that experiment on Canadian waterweed (Elodea canadiensis) for example.
It is a water plant, so depending on light conditions it will liberate the bubles of gass (oxygen). It is very easy to measure the intensity of transpiration because different ammounts of light cause different (bigger or smaller) ammounts of bubles being liberated. That effect is very often observable in aquaria with living plants.
Of course it may be other water plant as well. Not particularly Elodea