plant and animal mitosis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hebrewhammer
Garter
Garter

plant and animal mitosis

Post by hebrewhammer » Wed May 17, 2006 1:04 pm

What are the basic differnces. Everything I'm finding is to complicated.

rg
Garter
Garter

Post by rg » Mon May 22, 2006 5:38 pm

Plant mitosis involves cell plate formation but animal cell involves cleavage furrow formation.....there are many complicated differences like formation of phragmoplast in plants(but not in animals),no centrioles in plants(but present in animals) etc....

daniel.kurz
Coral
Coral

Post by daniel.kurz » Thu May 25, 2006 2:12 am

The method by which the chromosomes are taken I think during Metaphase is different because their are no centrioles. (Centrioles are what seperate the chromosomes). During cytokensis the formation of a cell wall.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu May 25, 2006 5:26 pm

No, the method the cromozomes are taken is the same. the formation of a spindle. the centriols are actually a mistery as far as their role is concerned. The plant cell does not have them, and if we distroy them using a laser in an animal cell, a spindle still forms and works fine.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Sun May 28, 2006 9:04 pm

if we distroy them using a laser in an animal cell, a spindle still forms and works fine.

But when chemical suppressors occur for example colchicine or taxol, formation of spindle is disabled, isn't it?

Anyway as far as I remember, in plant cells microtubules forming cariokinetic spindle are formed from those present normally in the interphase.
In plant cells cell wall is present so there are a few more things needed to be done. Among others preprophase ring and phragmoplast must be formed. Golgi body takes part in cell division, since it is the place where substrates for cell wall are synthetised. Then they are sent to phragmoplast.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:51 pm

SU_reptile wrote:But when chemical suppressors occur for example colchicine or taxol, formation of spindle is disabled, isn't it?

Yes, but neither one of them directly interacts with the centriols. They do inhibit spindle formation though...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter