moderators?

Any comments about the site and the forum go here.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kjle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by kjle » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:27 am

here's a gold ribbon
- disarm you with a smile

Founder of "Photography Club"
Member of "Truth-Seekers" tribe

#1 posts/day total
#8 total post count

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:51 am

I ven't read yet..lol.... :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

I ve read now and I promise to obey those......

Özge(Poison) looks beautiful....Its just a complement. :P

Mr Mistry (Andrew)you look as your "Name" suggests........ 8) ......
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:36 pm

I've read them too. Five or six times i think. I win :p
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Vibrio
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vibrio » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:20 am

Well, of course you did Mr. Mystery!! A mod who doesn't read the rules....that's a first!!
~*~ Rock the DNA!!~*~

http://bfunited.18.forumer.com

sachin
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sachin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:59 am

MrMistery wrote:I've read them too. Five or six times i think. I win :p

Is that mean it takes 6 times to understand them? :?: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Senior Education Officer, BNHS, India. www.bnhs.org

Bitter Truth!
Who says reason for world war III will be Petrol?
Reason lies in two words "Me and Mine".

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:29 am

Poison wrote:Honestly, how many of you read the forum rules? I bet not many... :)

I am guilty, I only scanned through them when I joined :oops:
But then the administator posted them again _at_ human Biology and I re-read them.

BTW when you go to the welcome page for this site it says right on there "ideal for homework: so it attracts people for that reason I think.

"Welcome to Biology Online, a choice source for biological information, ideal for homework, research projects and general interest. The site is currently separated into four main areas, each offering a different way for you to look up biological information. Comments and suggestions about the site at present, or any future enhancements you would like to see are most welcome!"
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:00 am

I don't think that i'd ever get tired of the homework-helping stuff. Because everyone could use a-little help sometimes.

however, it irritates me when people post their ENTIRE assigments.. and then someone ANSWERS all of the questions. THAT's what totally defeats the purpose!

Do the mods. ever say-anything to folks who continuously 'give-answers'?

Vibrio
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vibrio » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:42 pm

Personally, It does not matter to me. If you want to give answers, give them. If you don't, don't.
~*~ Rock the DNA!!~*~

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:26 pm

Vibrio wrote:Personally, It does not matter to me. If you want to give answers, give them. If you don't, don't.

I'm sure that you did not become smart because somone TOLD you all of the answers... You're smart because you've used your own brain-power to research things and answer your own questions. I'm sure that you've spent alot of time reading, studying and memorizing biological things because doing well in school/college is important and interesting to you. And you also probably know how GRATIFYING it is to finally figure-out/master a complex concept .. and then using your knowlege to perform-well on exams and in the classrom.

At the same time, the people that come on here and post ENTIRE exams are completely taking advantage of you, and all of the hard work that you've put-into your own education. Many (but not all) of them are totally ungrateful and will turn around and totally be rude to you or disrespect you.

In the end, you're not [/i]really[i] helping them because if you give them the answeres to their take-home exam they're still going to fail their final!! (and all of the time that you spent replying is essentially wasted, because i'm sure you could be doing something more fun and productive in your personal life)

With this being said, I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't give answers... all i'm saying is to do it in moderation. Or, encourage them to TRY before you give them the answer ... because a little effort goes a really long way!

Surely many of us could spend all day on this website answering people questions while boasting about our smartness ... but that's not what this site is all about! It's about helping folks who need it... not hindering their progression and growth in the sciences.

anyways.. that's just my 2-cents... everyone is totally entitled to their opinions!
- KIM

Vibrio
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vibrio » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:57 pm

anyways.. that's just my 2-cents... everyone is totally entitled to their opinions!

Thank you, and you are entitled to yours as well.

I'm sure that you did not become smart because somone TOLD you all of the answers... You're smart because you've used your own brain-power to research things and answer your own questions. I'm sure that you've spent alot of time reading, studying and memorizing biological things because doing well in school/college is important and interesting to you. And you also probably know how GRATIFYING it is to finally figure-out/master a complex concept .. and then using your knowlege to perform-well on exams and in the classrom.

People have different personalities. some really want to do the work and research because they are interested. These are the people who want to be educated. Others, however, just want to get through school so that they can get a job, not go to college and just live a simpler life. These people are the ones that post their questions exactly. I never said that you have to answer them, I only meant that the people who want to answer them shouldn't feel like they can't. Personally, I do not see anything wrong with just getting the answers so that you can pass. of them, its not important. The don't want to learn the concepts. But if they really want to learn, then they won't just want the answers.

At the same time, the people that come on here and post ENTIRE exams are completely taking advantage of you, and all of the hard work that you've put-into your own education. Many (but not all) of them are totally ungrateful and will turn around and totally be rude to you or disrespect you.

Well, if they are disrespectful (that is insulting), then they can take a hike. But I have noticed that many of them are saying thank you and please. I think they are being polite. If you feel they are taking advantage of you and being impolite, then there is no need to answer them. Even if they post their assignments as numbered questions, as long as they are asking nicely and not just using you, I see nothing wrong with answering them.

I just think it is up to the person. It is an opinion thing. There is no right or wrong way to answer these students. It depends on how you feel you should do so whether that is answering exactly, giving links, or not answering at all.

:D
~*~ Rock the DNA!!~*~

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:08 pm

http://www.biology-online.org/forumrules.php

Please check the "Homework Policy" in the "Amendments" section.

and check here too!

viewtopic.php?t=5215

Vibrio
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Vibrio » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:03 am

Yes, I know of the amandment. But nowhere does it say that you can't answer the people. If it was up to me, I would not make that amendment. It doesn't bother me if people don't want to answer. its totally up to them. I just think it should all be allowed.
~*~ Rock the DNA!!~*~