Genes and chromosomes II

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 pm

glad to hear that things are underway... as far as curves stuff. I always used Ct curves. The earliest part of the linear region of the curve represents the PCR cycle at which exponential amplification begins. (if it begins at earlier cycles you know that expression of your cDNA is higher... because you started off with more of that genes' cDNA versus... if the Ct value is higher, this suggests that you mRNA expression of your gene was lower... therefore you started-off with less cDNA inyour sample)

Anyways.... i suggest that you consult with your lab people about the curve that is best for your study. I found the curve-stuff rather confusing until a math/neuroscience/physics-wiz explained it to me.

good luck!
- kim

Garter
Garter

Post by Newbie » Fri May 26, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks kim,

I am no expert on curves myself, but I have done tons of reading on it and I think I know what I should look for generally in my CT curves. Perhaps I should nag someone to show me in detail one day but for now I may have enough information to start...thanks so much for your help throughout this "ordeal"...i wouldnt be surprised if I returned soon with another frantic post...

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Fri May 26, 2006 6:42 pm

well, I'm glad that I've been able to think of suggestions (i usually can't think of suggestions when I comes to MY own work!! ... But, I just nag my PI ... he's freak'in AWESOME)

You'll probably need some help optimizing your software (with cT curves).. i think you'll have to normalize and then set a threshold ... blah blah blah!!!! So, you'll need someone to help you interpret the data the first time you do it.

good luck with your stuff!
- KIM