AT-Rich genes (again)

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

oppox
Death Adder
Death Adder

AT-Rich genes (again)

Post by oppox » Sat May 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Hello im new here, so you have to ecuse me if u have heard my question before but I couldnt find any realated topics except one.
Anyway to the question, Im writing my final thesis and my prof wanted me to bring up the problems with AT rich genes. Thing is I cant find any reports or articles on the subject and im wondering if anyone of you have dug any deeper on the subject and could give any tips?

Thx, really interesting forum by the way, ive just "wasted" :wink: 2 hours browsing around when I was supposed to be writing.

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Post by GreenDog » Sun May 14, 2006 10:06 am

A friend of mine just presented a poster of a bioinformatic work in which he compared the life expectancy of different primates as a function of the GC content in synonymous codons. "Surprisingly" he showed that the ones with more GC live more. Also The GC content is higher in more "advanced" animals then in "low" animals.
As to the reasons, you might consider DNA stability, mRNA stability, effect of mutations (transitions, transversions).
"When In Danger Or In Doubt Run In Circles Scream And Shout"
Lawrence J. Peter