Is evolution happening right now?

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Is evolution happening right now?

Post by i_r_e_d » Thu May 11, 2006 2:18 pm

I know that changes are always happening but what 'major' change are we going through now? if any... :oops:

-Danny

nugget
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by nugget » Thu May 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Hello

Changes take a very very long time to become apparent. A beneficial mutation is rare and all the factors that have an affect on evoltion must work together and take a loooong time to appear. But i have my own little theory about what may be ahead of us as human evolution goes.

If you think about it we do a lot of sitting down. We sit down at school, uni, workplace, at home. Our bodies were designed to run, hunt, and be active all day. We do feel pain and lethargy from sitting all day especially when studying, so my theory is that in the millions of years ahead- provided human kind is still around, would have somehow have a diffferent posture to what we are born with. Some kind of change to our spine perhaps. It doesnt have to be a big change, plus it is late at night here in aus or should i say early morning, but i say that if any physical evolution were to arise it would be to our body frame.

I dont believe that we can see evolution to us happening in a lifetime. YOu would have to have previous records like very very old. So if we started now, the records we keep would be to the future like the pots and remains from ancient egypt are to us.

Hope that kinda answers your question
hope i didnt diverge too much but it would be interesting to see what people think might be a major evolutionary change to the human race !!

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Is evolution happening right now?

Post by alextemplet » Thu May 11, 2006 5:05 pm

i_r_e_d wrote:I know that changes are always happening but what 'major' change are we going through now? if any... :oops:

What species are you takling about? We are constantly watching evolution in micro-organisms, but in macro-organisms it takes a very long time to become noticeable, as nugget said. I don't think we're going to notice any change in humans during our lifetime, if ever again.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Mon May 15, 2006 1:50 am

look up cnemidophorus (sp?)
Also go here and read section 5.0
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

Beetle
Coral
Coral

Post by Beetle » Mon May 15, 2006 8:59 am

I dont think that we cannot assume which way will human evolution go. We broke out of control of natural selection (not completly but still) and we made a new type of selection - solcial selection. Individuals that could not survive in wild can now survive inside human society. People with glasses, fat people, skinny people, albinos and all other genetic variants (to be nice and not say mutants :D), injured and ill people could not survive the natural selection. Or at least they would have lower chance to reproduce and if you dont reproduce you do not egxist in means of evolution. But since we are social and intelignet beings we can block and change most of the natural and sexual selection. So i think that we will not change in order to adept to sitting or typing on kebord cause selection dont see that characteristics. Therefor it is difficult to predict what traits will be favorized and which wont. I think that it will be easier to assume that we will make major evolution changes not by small steps but through genetic drift, that is through calamitic events.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world" J. Hatfiled

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Tue May 16, 2006 2:25 am

What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 pm

Just look at all the different mutations of hemoglobin within the population, that is proof that evolution is running as we speak.