jellyfish

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

meggiepoo
Garter
Garter

jellyfish

Post by meggiepoo » Tue May 09, 2006 2:19 am

ok the ? is when a jellyfish is removed from its saltwater environment and put into fresh water it sweels and bursts. do u think a jellyfish is an plant or an animal? why? ok so i know that a jellyfish is an animal. but can i get some help on the why? :?:

meggiepoo
Garter
Garter

Post by meggiepoo » Tue May 09, 2006 2:21 am

whoops sorry..not sweels..swells*

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Tue May 09, 2006 3:47 am

hey there!

Sooo... I don't exactly want to give you the answer to your question. Because I know that you can use your own brain power to "think-through" this problem.

SOoo.. here's a hint: Think about a plant Versus and animal cell. Think of the differences in the structures/organelles of both cell types... and compare and contrast this with jellyfish organelles. (this will solve your plant Vs. animal question)

Next think about WHY these 2 types of cells are different ? think about the supporting structure of plant cells (outside the cell membrane)... why do cells have this ridgid strucure outside the membrane? What's the purpose?? .. this will help you address the "swelling" question in salt water Vs. fresh water.

Please re-post with your thoughts... so that someone can "hear" your though process!

Good luck ... I know you can figure this out!
- KIM

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Tue May 09, 2006 4:08 am

Looks like you've got a classmate that's already asked the same question:

about6195.html