factors that affect plants

Plants!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Celtie
Garter
Garter

factors that affect plants

Post by Celtie » Sun May 07, 2006 9:02 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is a certain factor that affects a plants rate of transpiration more than others? for example humidity, light intensity, wind speed, temperature etc. Or which of these is the easiest to use and work with in an experiment? Many thanks.

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sun May 07, 2006 11:03 pm

Well its different for types of plants.

Heat intensity is a big factor though IMO
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver

zalaskit
Garter
Garter

Post by zalaskit » Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 am

There are a few major factors that affect plant transpiration, the easiest ones to do a lab with, most likely humidity and air-movement. for the humidity all you need is a plastic bag, and the air movement all you need is a fan. this will nicely incorporate both into one experiment. have one plant (doesnt matter what type) ((cacti would NOT be the best)) with a bag on it, which will boost the humidity and cut air movement, and the other plant (preferably the same type) without a bag, and a fan blowing on it. do not water either of the plants, and let sit for a while (id say about 2 days should work wonders). Then observe both plants, and i think it should be pretty obvious which plant retained the most water (less transpiration) P.S. make sure to keep both plants under as similar situations as possible to get the best results. Want a more dramatic effect? leave 'em alone for a week.

rg
Garter
Garter

Post by rg » Mon May 08, 2006 7:29 pm

there can be no such possibilities as if one factor favours more then some other factor inhibits the process according to BLACKMAN'S THEORY OF LIMITING FACTORS.....search this topic if you want to know completely about it in google etc....

Ag
Garter
Garter

Post by Ag » Sat May 13, 2006 4:14 pm

I was doing an experiment to measure the rate of transpiration using wind intensity. The way i did it was to cut a shoot from a plant and put it into a potometer, (these can easily be made if you check it out on google and have tubes and stuff) Then put a hairdryer at different distances from the plant and measured how long it took the plant to transpire 5cm (if you attach a ruler to the tube of the potometer you can measure the water going down) hope that kinda helps

SU_reptile
Coral
Coral

Post by SU_reptile » Sat May 13, 2006 9:48 pm

The factors that affect transpiration are temperature, humidity, air movements and concentration of soil solution. They all take part in regulation of transpiration, since they are concerned with photosynthesis that requires water (so it needs to be taken up to the leaves by means of transpiration - leaves sucking force). The higher rate of wind speed the higher rate of transpiration. In very low and high temperatures transpiration is reduced. If there is high concentration of salts in the soil, water in unable to diffuse to the root hairs so transpiration is ceased or reduced as well (I think).

rbrow
Garter
Garter

transpiration in plants factor - light intensiy

Post by rbrow » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:01 am

Im am a year 11 student studying biology and we are doing an EEI, experiment. My group chose to study the effects that light intensity has on transpiration in plants. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me as we need to choose a plant as the subject. Thanks... :idea:

rbrow
Garter
Garter

Post by rbrow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:00 am

fine then dont help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pack of nerds! i told uz we were studying the transpiration in plants

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:01 pm

Hello I only just read your post today. I would be happy to "help" you.
What exactly do you need help with?

and BTW
LOL I didnt know they still used that name nerd!

~nerd Lynne
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver