Are there bacterias that are just decomposers

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jenjen
Garter
Garter

Are there bacterias that are just decomposers

Post by jenjen » Sun May 07, 2006 4:48 pm

I am working on a project with food biten and food unbitten to see if the bacterias of the mouth made one mold faster then the other. I am down to the decomposing stage but have been unable to find anything about what kinds of molds or bacterias are decomposers. Can anyone help?

jenjen
Garter
Garter

bacterias that decompose things

Post by jenjen » Mon May 08, 2006 6:35 pm

Ok I really need help!! I have been unable to find proper names for the bacterias that would case decomposition in food that had a bite out of it. The food that I bite off of for a science fair project didn't mold before the not eaten food in all cases but it did decompose much faster. I understand the bacteria is what is making this happen but I can't find what kinds of bacteria make this happen. Can anyone help push me in the right direction?

rg
Garter
Garter

Post by rg » Mon May 08, 2006 7:20 pm

you should notice that when you bite the food your saliva,containing ptyalinpartially decomposes the starch making the food softer...as a result much of the work of the bacteria is done by your saliva and hence it is decomposed by them faster than the unbitten food.....you must make all the necessary hypothesis following an experiment and then suitably carry out more experiments to try to eliminate those hypothesis one by one until you reach to a sure conclusion....